Laptop recommendations?; HP Envy Spectre XT, Envy 4t, Envy 6t

tryhardertry

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Hi, I'm a college student looking for a new laptop. I've really only looked into HP so far, but my choices from there are the Spectre XT, Envy 6t, and the Envy 4t. However, any other brands/models that'll fit the bill better are welcome. I previously owned a 13-inch aluminum MacBook and loved it. I've copy+pasted a template from another forum below addressing general criteria questions:

1) What is your budget?

up to $1,200ish.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

USA (TX)

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

I liked my old aluminum MacBook, but since the new one is $2K+ I'm definitely going non-Mac. Like I noted, I like the 3 HPs I listed, but I'm open to other brands.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Basics; word, powerpoint, excel, music-making, video/music editing, web surfing, photoshop, student stuff, occasional gaming, occasional movies

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

I prefer something with good portability, but without compensating quality. Something I can use in my dorm room when studying but also take to classes & travel with.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Occasionally, I'll probably play Starcraft/Counter-Strike/flash & browser games. However, I *definitely* don't want to make this a gaming-priority laptop by any means.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

probably at least 5; more is better, but I REALLY *hate* it when my laptop gets hot/heavy when the battery's being drained.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

online without seeing is fine

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

I love Mac OS. But Windows 7 is just as good. I sometimes like to run Linux for fun.

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read.

High Resolution (1600 x 900) is preferable, but good portability is my main concern.

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?

Probably glossy; whatever gives me better visuals.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Yes, sleek, thin, and aluminum is sexy. But once again, portability & functionality > looks. But I definitely value a unique, futuristic design.

15) When are you buying this laptop?

Pretty much now; however, if there is an upcoming laptop that will kick butt and fit my criteria much better, I'm willing to wait up until early August.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

A good 4 years, I suppose.

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?

Solid-state drive would be awesome. I guess I can always use an external, but more GB is better. Whatever lets me run the comp faster.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

Meh, I'll probably just need a DVD player.

gregck

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Was recently looking at the samsung series 7 at best buy. They seem a bit sturdier than the HP's, with a nicer finish.

samsung series 7 - np700z5c-s01ub:
i7-3615QM w/ Nvidia 630m. 8 gigs of ram, 1600x900, good battery life (8 cell battery).
you should be able to remove the back panel and install an SSD if thats your thing, otherwise it comes with a 1tb drive (5400 rpm most likely)
=$999

i have also been looking at a fully loaded hp-dv6
i7-3610QM
Nvidia 650m
8GB ram
1TB 5400rpm
1920x1080
9 cell battery

960 + tax + free shipping with coupon JULY4SALEHP
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/A3F49AV?aoid=35252

tryhardertry

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012

Thanks for the suggestion! The fully-loaded HP-DV6 looks pretty nice, but I'm honestly not too much a fan of the size and weight of either laptop. I'd prefer something in the 13-14in., 3-4lbs category, ultrabook category. However, I'll definitely take a glance at the Samsung at Best Buy next time I'm there.