Laptop replacement suggestions

Randy_baton

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
My Samsung Chronos 7 is on the way out (the soldered SDD is failing) so i'm in the market for a new laptop.
Specs for my old laptop can be seen here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0065O85UM

I use my lap top as a desktop replacement; 99% of the time its plugged in on a shelf. operated by a wireless mouse and keyboard and viewed on a HDTV via HDMI. I have a gaming PC so don't have room for another desk top and need something that's portable every once in a while.

Its used mostly for downloading films/TV etc. streaming music (via itunes) and either putting data on or streaming data from my own media severs over my home wireless network.

I don't think I need that much power but I do hate spending time or having my system slow down when I'm installing updates, running virus protection etc. and just general booting up and down

Based on that I decided that:

keyboard/track pad and screen are not overly important as they don't get used most of the time.

Battery life isn't that important as it will be plugged in most of the time

I don't need an optical drive as I have a usb one when needed.

I don't need or want a touch screen

Connectivity wise I need a HDMI output at least 3 USB ports and preferably at least one USB port that can draw power when the system is switched off (not sure how widely used this is but my current laptop does it and i find it really useful for charging things overnight when I'm away from home)

I need a decent network card as this is the thing that probably gets worked the most.

I want a quick start up time so need an SSD or expresscache. I'm not worried about bloat ware as I have windows 7 set up disks so will do a clean install to that and then take the free upgrade to windows 10 (or stay on 7).

Cost wise I'm looking for something under £1k

So far the only 2 I've been able to come up with are the ASUS ZenBook UX303 13.3"or the Dell XPS 13

Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions?

Thanks for reading and for any help provided.