Laptop requirements to use WiDi

Andon48

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
I'm looking to buy my wife a new laptop and I'd like to get one that is WiDi capable. What exactly do I have to watch for? Is the processor the only thing that matters or does it need to have something else like a certain wireless card? BTW I know I have to buy an adapter for the TV, I just want to know about the laptop itself.

Solution
I have a WiDi setup in my house. You have to look for a laptop with the second generation Intel Core i3/i5 or i7 processor, Intel HD graphics and Intel Centrino WiFi in the laptop. You need a companion WiDi box to connect to your TV. Examples are Netgear PTV 2000, Belkin ScreenCast, D-Link DHD-131.

The first generation Netgear PTV1000 also supports WiDi. I recommend the PTV2000 because it supports 1080p, 802.11n and Blu-Ray content. If you look on the Best Buy website you can filter laptops that support Intel Wireless Display.

I have an Acer AS4830T Core i5 laptop and a Netgear PTV2000 box and it works well.

IntelEnthusiast

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
The easy answer as to a laptop that will support WiDi is that it will have a sticker on it that says WiDi. If it doesnt have the sticker it won't support WiDi. The sticker should look like this http://www.slashgear.com/intel-widi-moves-to-version-2-1-38-0-05150296/

Then you need a TV or a router that connects to the TV that is WiDi ready.

At this time it isn't possible (to my knowledge) to upgrade a laptop so that it does support WiDi.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

vmr

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
I have a WiDi setup in my house. You have to look for a laptop with the second generation Intel Core i3/i5 or i7 processor, Intel HD graphics and Intel Centrino WiFi in the laptop. You need a companion WiDi box to connect to your TV. Examples are Netgear PTV 2000, Belkin ScreenCast, D-Link DHD-131.

The first generation Netgear PTV1000 also supports WiDi. I recommend the PTV2000 because it supports 1080p, 802.11n and Blu-Ray content. If you look on the Best Buy website you can filter laptops that support Intel Wireless Display.

I have an Acer AS4830T Core i5 laptop and a Netgear PTV2000 box and it works well.

Solution