Laptop runs faster on battery?

Caratacus

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I have a Toshiba Satellite S855D. For some reason, I get huge fps boosts after unplugging my charger.

It's not the power settings; I have checked and double-checked many times, and every setting is identical for AC and battery modes.

On Skyrim, where I get 20-30 fps outdoors, it's not really noticeable as far as I can tell (as well as L4D2, and Red Orchestra 2 to an extent), but on the majority of my games, it's the difference between unplayable and smooth (Neverwinter, L.A. Noire for example).

I've heard about other solutions, like replacing my charger or fixing my AC outlet. None of the answers are very clear, and I'm fairly certain it's not the charger because I have tried 3 others, including one with voltage settings and an LCD display.

ATI RAdeon HD 6660 w/ 512mb of VRAM
AMD A10-4600m quad-core processor ~2.3GHz
8gb RAM

Caratacus

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

I can't seem to find any evidence of my onboard graphics in device manager or BIOS setup. How can I find and disable it?

makkem

Distinguished
Hi again
You should have a program from ATI called catalyst control centre ,if you look in there you should find which graphics are running and how to disable one.
Alternatively there may be something similar from toshiba.
Check bottom right task bar.