Laptop screen black, not sleep mode

Omnomious

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
I just got an Acer Predator 17 G9, I don't like sleep mode so I did the usual settings "Turn HDD off [Never]", "Put computer to sleep [Never]" etc.. it was fine. I could close the lid and open it to my beautiful HD screen. A few hours later I heard it shut down and I opened it to installing new updates for Windows 10, after all the annoying repeated reboots, I checked my settings and they were the same. No changes. So, I close my lid but forgot to restart my download on steam so I immediately reopened it. Black screen appears. Power button is on and sleep mode is not flashing or apparently on. I wait, and hear notification sounds as if a device is being removed and maybe an error notification sound, can't be certain because the screen is black.. I closed the lid back and left it overnight and woke up to the lock screen as if it rebooted or maybe went to sleep? Anyway, am I missing something here? A setting I should try or maybe reset the laptop to factory settings? It's a bit annoying because I download games and don't like to always leave the laptop lid open.