Laptop Screen Busted, how to reinstall Windows without one

Grimsilver

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
So basically I found a laptop while cleaning out an apartment, and the screen on it is completely shattered. The owners said they didn't want it, so I decided to just keep it due to it looking like a fairly modern laptop. I have absolutely no laptop experience, and I don't have any Windows 8 experience either. So I powered it on while it was hooked up to a monitor, and it goes to what I assume is the Windows 8 login screen, but obviously I can't get past the password.

So my question/s are basically this. Can I reinstall Windows using my external monitor, or will I need the original screen? Will formatting it remove the software for say the HDMI ports, and I won't be able to see anything to reinstall the HDMI drivers without the original screen? Honestly I have no idea, I just don't want to put it into a point to where I need the original screen working, but it's completely smashed.

Thanks

thently

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
You can use the external screen no issue. Look up the brand and model and look for a way to reload the OS using the recovery partition it will reload it to factory defaults and you will be good to go.
Thent

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

You could go back to the previous owner with your LCD screen
Ask them to login to windows

Create a new admin account with no password

Login to new account and remove all old accounts

You could find out how much a new screen would cost fitted ?

If the laptop is only a few years old it may be worth replacing the LCD screen

If the The lap top came with windows 8 from new it is modern
But it could be a old vista laptop which has been upgraded

With Dell PC's you can find manufacturing date and specifications by entering the serial number
Other major manufacturers have similar databases

Regards
Mike Barnes

Grimsilver

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
So I went to their website, and tried to hold down 0 when booting to get to the reset stuff, but nothing loads up, my monitor remains black. Also the laptop type is a Toshiba Satellite C75D-A7370. Can I simply get a Windows 8 disc and pop it in?

Grimsilver

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
It seems I cannot get bios to load up either. I noticed there is a small screen looking icon on the F keys, does that swap display devices maybe? If so, anyone know how to actually use it? (Simply pushing it did nothing)

Greetings Grimsilver:

I'm mighty curious about this project of yours and I'm wondering if you actually get video signals from the Toshiba onto your external monitor?

A) If YES, then all you have to do is to search YouTube or Google for a guide on how to open cmd.exe from the BIOS menu and reformat the hard disk. In some cases you don't even have to do that. Just insert the Win8 disc or USB stick and try a fresh install.

B) If NO, then you have to buy a replacement laptop screen (e.g. from eBay) because you can't see a thing even if the Toshiba works. At best, that would put you back to A), and you'd probably need to enlist the help from a tech-savvy friend to remove and install the screens.

C) I doubt the button you're referring to is a screen swap button, but even if it is, you will most likely have to open Windows and activate multiple screens. And even if it did work now, all you'd get on your monitor is the same as on the Toshiba, which right now is probably a black screen.

Please report back on your progress and best of luck. :)

GreyCatz.