Solved! laptop screen cloudy or stains ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Paul_2

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
I bought the laptop from someone and dont know the history of it if it was water damage or something, any tips to get rid of it would be appereciated

heres a pic its more noticable on white screen

hv2ed2.jpg

Solution
What your looking at is a laptop, or should I say the LCD screen of it that has been kept in a very damp room.
Or it has been in a situation where it was, or had been used and was very warm or in a very warm environment.

And then for example taken out side where it was much colder promoting condensation John Paul.

The moisture from doing so has collected and become trapped between what we call the polarizing sheets internal to the Lcd unit of the display.

If it looks like you have clear and milky looking blobs or smudges when looking at the screen from any viewing angle.

Or basically the screen as been subjected to water.
But the effect is more often caused by condensation in the manner explained.

Your choices are to remove the...

Shaun o

Distinguished
What your looking at is a laptop, or should I say the LCD screen of it that has been kept in a very damp room.
Or it has been in a situation where it was, or had been used and was very warm or in a very warm environment.

And then for example taken out side where it was much colder promoting condensation John Paul.

The moisture from doing so has collected and become trapped between what we call the polarizing sheets internal to the Lcd unit of the display.

If it looks like you have clear and milky looking blobs or smudges when looking at the screen from any viewing angle.

Or basically the screen as been subjected to water.
But the effect is more often caused by condensation in the manner explained.

Your choices are to remove the battery from the laptop, the hard disk drive also.
And place the rest of the laptop in an enclosed space for a few days with a constant warm air flow circulating
Around it leaving the laptop in its open position.

Or to buy a completely new LCD screen for the laptop`s brand name and model number it has.

I know that it is exactly the problem as I have seen it from Laptop screens
To large Lcd Tv sets that have been used then placed in a very cold room soon after use.

There is not much else you can do John Paul.
Once it happens it can take a very long time to restore the LCD screen so it is not cloudy or has milky patches through out the display.

Solution

Shaun o

Distinguished
Yes that is correct you have two polarizing sheets internally of the lcd screen.

One to direct white light to the horizontal viewing of the screen to your eyes.
And the other to direct the white back light to the vertical viewing of the screen to your eyes.

The damp or condensation is trapped between these two polarizing sheets causing the screen when looking at it to be clear in places then milky colored.

The sheets depending on what type are used determine how good or well lit the lcd display is in viewing angle also.

If your feeling brave you could open up the Lcd enclosure and get access to the two sheets mentioned and dry both of the sheets off from damp.

But you will have to remember in what order from front to back they are layered and the correct orientation of each.

And that will cure the problem.
But it`s fiddly as hell.

MERGED QUESTION
Question from John Paul_2 : "laptop screen cloudy or water spots"

At first glance, yes water.

CountMike

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015
MERGED QUESTION
Question from John Paul_2 : "laptop screen blurry or cloudy spots"

Looks like backlight is failing.

Status