Laptop screen goes black when lid is opened IN BIOS!

Skinjob

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
I have a Dell Vostro 2510 with a peculiar display problem, where the display goes black. It's not simply a Windows driver or video card problem, because this happens in the BIOS.

When you start the laptop, the Dell logo screen comes on for a few seconds, after that the screen goes black permanently. Though sometimes I might get a glimpse of a cursor just before the Windows XP logon screen. However.... once I get into the BIOS menus, I found that if I shut the lid and open it back up, the screen comes back on for two seconds, then goes black! It does this every single time I shut the lid.

I thought it was the inverter, and installed a new one... which solved the problem of a black screen... until I shut the machine off. It seems the problem can be fixed temporarily if I remove the battery and AC for one hour. In which case, it can work for hours. But then the problem comes back after I shut the machine off.

I can see the screen on an external monitor. And I noticed that when I fiddle around with the NVidia app and switch between the two and their resolutions, the laptop screen may come on again.... but goes off after two seconds.

Reducing brightness on the laptop screen has no effect, so its likely not bad caps.

I thought it might be the CMOS needs replacing. But I'm starting to rule that out as well, because that would not explain why the screen temporarily comes back on every time in BIOS, when you open the lid.

So yeah, I'm stumped! Looking for clues!