Laptop screen going black! HELP

Snoidon

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Okay so i'm stressing out and feeling a bit down because of this problem and hope anyone out there is able to help!

So my laptop has been acting weird lately, after downloading the latest nvidia driver.

Here is the thing

At random times my screen will go black, you can still see the light from the screen and hear everything going on/functioning properly in the background. I can't see my mouse during this but everything else seems to be fine, i've googled situations similar to this but none has mentioned, that they're able to turn it back on (thankfully) by doing the FN + F6 shortcut. It helps keeping my sanity in check, haha, but i would love a permanent'ish fix so i would'nt have to be paranoid while im gaming or something like that.

The solution im trying atm is a clean install with an older nvidia driver.
Using DDU. I did try that earlier, but it was with the newest driver. (Which i think caused this?)

I'm praying to higher powers of the universe that its not hardware related. Its my 2 year old baby, gotta survive a little longer.

All answers are appreciated!
Thanks

X

Solution
Well, if you try reinstalling the old driver and that doesn't work, try doing a system restore to a point just before you changed the driver. That may get better results.

If none of that works, then there are a few things to check. One, take a flashlight and shine it on the screen from different angles. Can you see the desktop, but barely?

If so your backlight has gone and needs replacing. If nothing is seen, then I would try turning off the laptop and connect an external monitor. Turn on the external monitor and then turn on the laptop. Can you see everything fine on the external monitor? If yes, then we are back to the laptop display as the issue.

Next you would need to open up the laptop and check that the ribbon cable that...
Well, if you try reinstalling the old driver and that doesn't work, try doing a system restore to a point just before you changed the driver. That may get better results.

If none of that works, then there are a few things to check. One, take a flashlight and shine it on the screen from different angles. Can you see the desktop, but barely?

If so your backlight has gone and needs replacing. If nothing is seen, then I would try turning off the laptop and connect an external monitor. Turn on the external monitor and then turn on the laptop. Can you see everything fine on the external monitor? If yes, then we are back to the laptop display as the issue.

Next you would need to open up the laptop and check that the ribbon cable that connects the display isn't bent, torn, loose, etc. If that is the case, reconnect it or replace if necessary.

If the ribbon cable is fine, and the display doesn't show anything when shined on with a flashlight, plus the external monitor shows fine, then your display has had it and needs replacing.

If the problem also happens on an external monitor, then your graphics card is the problem.

Solution