Laptop Screen Malfunction

jwesleya

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Ok... My buddy has an Acer Aspire 5534-1121 http://www.cnet.com/laptops/acer-aspire-as5534-1121/4507-3121_7-33894614.html (specs at link).

A while back, the screen stopped working. We could still make out an image, but there was no light. For a while, tilting the screen one way or the other would cause the screen to light up like normal, but after a while that stopped working. My buddy decided to just use an external monitor for a while (via VGA, which works still.) Well, he asked me to take a look at it, and I did.

Firstly, there's only one cord going into the screen itself, which I assume to be the video card feed. I've read a bunch of forums and they all mention different cords like one for an inverter, but this screen only has the one. It wasn't loose, and didn't appear to be damaged at all. I didn't see any loose wiring or any damage to the screen itself. Not knowing what else to do, I decided to reassemble and search online for trouble shooting advice. After putting it back together and turning it on, the screen no longer works, at all. No light, no feint image, no nothing. Just totally blank. It still works with an external monitor, boots fine, etc etc...

Now, I'm not really educated on LED screens, which apparently this model of laptop has. However, I'm fairly sure the screen itself has simply died. The fact that the VGA still works tells me that the graphics card itself is in good working order. The fact that there was any image on screen at all tells me that the graphics connector to the screen is not damaged. I personally think that the screen was already on it's way out, and taking it apart just aggravated the issue and finally totally killed it.

Now we come to my dilemma. My diagnosis is just supposition. I'm not actually sure. A new screen for this particular laptop is approximately sixty dollars. The last thing I want to do is to tell my friend to by a new screen only to install it and it not work. That would screw my friend out of some money and make me look a fool.

So I need your help. Please let me know if you agree with my diagnosis, and please provide me with any additional information you can give me. If you can find any links that you think it would be helpful for me to explore, please post them. I'll be back on here tomorrow at approx. 6:00PM EST to check comments and replies. Thank you very much for your time and effort.

-John :bounce:

Solution
I replaced our son's lcd for approx same price - LED backlight. Worked perfectly after the repair. If you can actually measure the voltage for the LED backlight(if there is voltage and no light) you will know if it is the backlight gone bad.
-Bruce

dish_moose

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
I replaced our son's lcd for approx same price - LED backlight. Worked perfectly after the repair. If you can actually measure the voltage for the LED backlight(if there is voltage and no light) you will know if it is the backlight gone bad.
-Bruce

Solution