Laptop screen partially blue/pink

May 11, 2018
Hi

My laptop screen suddenly started playing up today after it had gone in to sleep mode.

When I woke it up, the top part of the screen was normal but the rest of the screen has this see through pink tint that changes in to a blue tint then stays blue until I reboot, then does it again. I can still see the screen underneath it and still use the laptop and the top of the screen is always normal.

It's a Samsung NP300Z5A and it is a few years old with a lot of usage.

I have connected it to another screen and it appears fine. So from what I have found online, it seems to say that it's the screen or cable. Could it be the plug that has come loose or does it point to something more permanent? Can I fix it myself considering I am no tech expert!

Thanks

Solution
You are right in that it is either the cable that connects the display or the display itself. If under warranty, I would contact the manufacturer. If it isn't, then you can (if you feel comfortable opening it up yourself) go in and disconnect the cable at both ends and then reconnect them. If it was a loose connection that would resolve it. If, however, that doesn't fix the problem, then you are talking replacing one or both. To be honest, the pink is usually the display (more often than not), but it still may be worth trying replacing the cable first.
You are right in that it is either the cable that connects the display or the display itself. If under warranty, I would contact the manufacturer. If it isn't, then you can (if you feel comfortable opening it up yourself) go in and disconnect the cable at both ends and then reconnect them. If it was a loose connection that would resolve it. If, however, that doesn't fix the problem, then you are talking replacing one or both. To be honest, the pink is usually the display (more often than not), but it still may be worth trying replacing the cable first.

Solution
May 11, 2018

Thanks for the reply. It's no longer under warranty as I've had it about 5 years. I've had no problem with anything until now so it's done me good. I took the front edge of the screen off today but couldn't see any connections, just a thin wire that goes under the screen, but I saw the screws where I can take the screen off so I'll try that and see if I can find the connection behind it. No idea how I get to the other end of it so I'll find a video how to take it apart and try reconnecting the cable. Never took it apart before but I'll give it a go.

May 11, 2018

I'm not sure what happened but it seemed to fix itself a couple of days ago. I hadn't found the screwdriver to take it apart yet but before I got round to it the screen just changed itself back to normal while I was sat here. I think I must have moved a wire inside somehow !

TRENDING THREADS