Laptop screen stays black but external screen works

Jaespah

Commendable
May 9, 2016
Hello,

I booted my laptop up this morning (Asus N76v) and my screen stayed black. a external screen works with the VGA port.
i check in the screen resolution settings and notice that the integrated screen is not detected. (not available to choose). the screen does light up but stays black.
when booting the laptop i dont see the bootup sequence of the motherboard and laptop either.

I hope someone could tell me whats wrong and what i should do.
kind regards Jesper

Solution
bad luck... you could try to reset the BIOS to default settings. That should work directly from the BIOS or by pulling out the BIOS Battery (normally a small CR2032 on the mainboard, but if your out of luck then its soldered). I don't know if your external monitor displays the BIOS options. Otherwise i would try a blind reset first (Most of the time F9 loads defaults and F10 stores the bios and resets. You'll get to the BIOS by different ways, most of the time its DEL at Startup, somtimes its F1 or F2 or F10 during startup or in rare cases some wierd combination, your manual should help here).

thehutti

Estimable
May 12, 2014
Seems to me like a disconnected monitor cable if the screen is not detected anymore. The laptop screen is most likely connected with a flat ribbon connector to the laptop mainboard and sometimes it comes loose.
You could try to disassemble the Laptop and check the connection if you want. Here is a tutorial video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1VsbYVxinI
If you want to try that, then make sure you take a lot of pictures. That helps with the reassembling later. But only do that if the Notebook is out of warranty, otherwise it will void it.

thehutti

Estimable
May 12, 2014
Sometimes the Power is delivered by extra cables so the backlight can work but the signal is cut. But even in cases where everything is connected over one ribbon cable, there are cases where the ribbon cable is not disconnected completely but came out on one corner. It could of course be a completely different error, it's just the one thats most likely if the screen is not detected anymore. Normally the black screen happens if you've switched to external monitor only, but then you should see the laptop screen as available option in your system settings. Since it's completely missing the connection is the best bet. If the screen is simply broken then that doen't help either of course, but i think it's worth the try.

Jaespah

Commendable
May 9, 2016
unfortunatly nothing was loose inside the laptop. i didnt take out the motherboard though since im not super experienced with taking electronics appart. didnt want to risk that. but after assembling the laptop i can still only use it with a external screen.

*edit*
i also havent taken the screen casing appart.

thehutti

Estimable
May 12, 2014
bad luck... you could try to reset the BIOS to default settings. That should work directly from the BIOS or by pulling out the BIOS Battery (normally a small CR2032 on the mainboard, but if your out of luck then its soldered). I don't know if your external monitor displays the BIOS options. Otherwise i would try a blind reset first (Most of the time F9 loads defaults and F10 stores the bios and resets. You'll get to the BIOS by different ways, most of the time its DEL at Startup, somtimes its F1 or F2 or F10 during startup or in rare cases some wierd combination, your manual should help here).

Solution

Jaespah

Commendable
May 9, 2016
I'm going to let the screen be replaced i think. went to a store and they confirmed the same with checking the laptop and with my info.

but i want to thank you for spending your time on trying to help me out :)