Question Laptop screen won't turn on only when plugged in

Jan 21, 2020
Asus a422u screen turn off after several minutes of inactivity. On battery, I can simply move the cursor or touch any key and it will turn back on. If it's plugged, the screen won't turn back on even if the screen has JUST turn off. Not even sleep yet. It only happened when the laptop is plugged in with charger. All the lights are still on. When I play spotify and it turn off, the screen still won't turn on and the sound is stucked until i reboot by holding the power button. I've tried searching for answers online but so far, most of their problems is because of the sleep, not the screen turn off. So im at dead end here. Appreciate any help, thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020
Do you use the original charger?

update the BIOS of your laptop

install the latest ATK (ACPI) driver from the ASUS support homepage
Yes, I've only use the original charger. My BIOS is up-to-date but I did update the ATK. However the problem still persist

Did you install /update other drivers like chipset as well?

Windows is up to date?

Check the power managment options, set it to balanced, also check there, what will be done if the lid is closed while the charger is plugged in.

Jan 21, 2020
Did you install /update other drivers like chipset as well?

Windows is up to date?

Check the power managment options, set it to balanced, also check there, what will be done if the lid is closed while the charger is plugged in.
I don't recall installing or updating any drivers recently. Both the chipset and windows is up to date. There's an optional update tho, version 1909. Below is the power management settings, i've never change it before

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Laptop Tech Support 0
P Laptop Tech Support 7
P Laptop Tech Support 1
O Laptop Tech Support 5
R Laptop Tech Support 1
O Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 5
V Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 1