Laptop Screen Works Only When Plugged In

tomhuang03

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Hi everyone,

I encountered a problem with my MSI EX460 laptop, I tried powering it on without the power cord and it working, but the screen is just black. But when I turn it on with the power cord plugged in, the screen works fine. Then when I unplug it (with the battery inserted) the screen goes black and the laptop seems to crash. I tried it with 2 different MSI batteries and still encounter the same issue. Any ideas on what the problem is?

Solution

if the ac adptore output is low it might not be charging the battery's if the batterys are reading the right output voltage then is a power board or motherboard issues. some laptops have a small board that the on switch and battery connect too.
you can try and see if the laptop has a hard...

nhasian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
well I would have told you to try a different battery but since you already did it must be a bigger problem with the laptop itself. if its still under warranty you should contact the manufacturer.

if the ac adptore output is low it might not be charging the battery's if the batterys are reading the right output voltage then is a power board or motherboard issues. some laptops have a small board that the on switch and battery connect too.
you can try and see if the laptop has a hard reset button. sometime doing that with battery out can sometime reset power issues. if not if it under warranty i would contact the vendor.

Solution

tomhuang03

Honorable
May 23, 2012

Hey nhasian,

The warranty is long gone already. But you're right might be a bigger problem, will try to take it to a repair shop.

tomhuang03

Honorable
May 23, 2012

Hey smorizio, I'll probably point that out when I take it to a repair shop, the warranty is long gone so manufacturer will probably charge a whole lot just to "investigate" the problem. The batteries are charging though but you're right, I have a feeling it's the power board, hopefully it isn't the motherboard. Will try to find the hard reset button as well! Thanks for your advice!

ouser

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
I had same problem & spent days trying dozens of things. Windows obviously worked. I could use Remote Desktop to access it.

SOLUTION: If you have a second computer, use Remote Desktop by choosing 'Run', type 'mstsc', type the name of the computer with a black screen, and connect. After logging in, open 'Control Panel', and choose 'Power Options'. On the left panel choose 'Choose when to turn off the display'. On the row labeled 'Adjust plan brightness', under the 'Plugged in' column, turn up the brightness slider.

tomhuang03

Honorable
May 23, 2012

Thank you for the suggestions! Sadly, I figured it out: The board is fried. :(

Dave Fontana

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014
Simple!

Click on the battery icon.
Choose "more power option" at bottom
make sure that "my custom plan 1" is selected
go to "change my plan setting" on the right
than adjust plan brightness.

Simple.

You may need to hit the reset button in the back where the battery extender plugs into.

Putut_

Prominent
May 15, 2017
I have same problem with my friend's laptop (FUJITSU LH532). I tried installing the OS several times and the problem still consist. Then I found this forum and trying solution from Dave Fontana. I hesitated it before, because I just installed the OS and all of the setting must be restored. I just try it and found that the adjust plan brightness in the max value when plugged and in the middle value when not plugged. Then I seek the value in the max when not plugged and save change. And when I try to unplugged the charger, FINALLY my screen still ON. thanks a lot for the tip. I know there is still error because I cannot manage the brightness of my screen but it's oke as long as I can use the laptop.

Nekitha

Prominent
May 19, 2017
Simple!

Click on the battery icon.
Choose "more power option" at bottom
make sure that "my custom plan 1" is selected
go to "change my plan setting" on the right
than adjust plan brightness.

Simple.

You may need to hit the reset button in the back where the battery extender plugs into.

[/quotemsg]
I was having the same problem and adjusting the screen brightness on battery worked! For some reason my screen brightness was down to zero and it just needed to be adjusted. Thank you!