Laptop Shut Off, Now Does Not Boot

Greerere

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Okay, well first off I have an acer Aspire 4820TG laptop that is about 3 1/2 years old.

Today while I was watching a film it unexpectedly shut off - instantly turned off without warning or shutdown.

Now I cannot boot it up.

Sometimes I can boot it to the bios screen, but if I try to get past there it will turn off at some point.
I have got it to the log on screen a few times but it will also just shut off.

I don't think this is a hard drive issue, (I have removed it and installed in another computer and cannot find a fault).
When I get to the bios screen and past it, it does boot without an error message. (Still shuts off)

I therefore think this is a hardware issue.

Does anyone have any clue as to what the problem is?
Any help would be appreciated.

Greerere

p.s. I apologise if this is in the wrong forum

cklaubur

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Does the laptop feel hotter than normal when it shuts off? Has it been making any odd noises?

Most computers (laptops and desktops) will shut themselves off when they get too hot in order to prevent damaging the CPU. Any warning will be a noticeable increase in cooling fan speed, assuming the fan is working correctly.

Casey

Greerere

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Hi Casey,

The fan was running normally, laptop wasn't hotter than usual.

I believe this isn't an overheating problem, but I may be wrong.

I think this may be some sort of power issue?

cklaubur

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Could be. Do you normally use the laptop plugged in or on battery?

The reason I suggested overheating is that it tends to be the most common problem, especially on compact devices like laptops. Their cooling systems are barely strong enough as it is.

Casey

Greerere

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Generally plugged in. Problem occurs both on the battery and mains.

It could be overheating, but I know the processor run up to 105 degrees, it is very noticeable when it reaches that (Very hot and load fan). Also I have been able to boot it once and bring up core temp program and it was running less than 40 degrees.