Laptop shutdown, sleep and restart issues.

zamandguth

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Hi,
As far as I'm aware, these problems are not related but they could be.
My situation is that I bought the HP Pavilion 14 about 10 months ago and upgraded the RAM from 4gb to 8gb, no problems.
Last week I upgraded the HDD from a 750gb WD blue sata 7200rpm drive to a Samsung 850 evo 500gb ssd, also sata.
Now the issue is that when I close the lid of the laptop, the screen will turn off by the power button won't go from solid to blinking (to show its sleeping) and so when I open the lid again, it won't wake up. The only thing i can do is force turn it off.
When I shutdown the laptop (through windows) sometimes the exact same symptoms will be shown here again. Power light stays on while the CPU fan continues to run and it doesn't fully power off.
When I restart (through windows) the shutdown procedure is fine but when it boots again, I get a SMART disc error then missing OS boot error. If I force shut it down and turn it on again its fine. I only get the boot errors when I restart.
I have disable fast start and have set everything to high performance in the power options to ensure nothing was turning off. Also re-installed windows several times.
Any comments are appreciated :)
Thanks

Solution
does the laptop have the newest bios on it. with ssd the laptop when windows sleeps should not power the ssd off. ssd dont have any moving parts but need good power to work. some laptops may need a power setting change in the bios to keep the laptop from power off the ssd in sleep mode.
does the laptop have the newest bios on it. with ssd the laptop when windows sleeps should not power the ssd off. ssd dont have any moving parts but need good power to work. some laptops may need a power setting change in the bios to keep the laptop from power off the ssd in sleep mode.

Solution

zamandguth

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

Thanks for the reply!

I haven't updated the bios since i got the laptop, ill do that now and report back :)

zamandguth

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

I believe I have the most recent bios update for this laptop, it is currently the "Insyde F.42" updated 4/12/2013
The HP website doesnt have any bios updates listed for this laptop so i would assume its the most recent
Any ideas?