Laptop shuts down and automatically turns on after like 3 seconds

burnx22

Estimable
Sep 23, 2015
Hello,

My Acer laptop is rebooting automatically each 3 seconds after start. I can see Acer logo on screen an then it reboot. I tried to press F2 the enter in BIOS, but nothing to do, it's reboot before. It's not a power problem. When I remove the hard drive, it not reboot. I inserted a Linux Live CD to see if motherboard, ram, processor work well and yes, I can do what I want. So I tought that problem was my Hard drive. I bought another one. When I plug in the laptop, same problem, it reboot :(
Does anybody have a clue to solde my problem?

Thanks

Monzakee

Estimable
Sep 22, 2015
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago on an HP laptop, it was the hard drive in my case. It may be the wiring to your actual drive is frayed or that the kernel you are booting from is corrupted. The best way to check is to get the original hard drive and test it in a different laptop. Best of luck to you

burnx22

Estimable
Sep 23, 2015
The model is an Acer Aspire 5742Z-4640.Without the hard drive, I am able to enter in BIOS. I saw on some forum that a lot of people said to clear CMOS. I did it by removing the CMOS battery more than 10 minutes, but now, the problem is bigger. Now the laptop reboot after around 1,5 seconds. I don't have time to see the Acer logo. Now it reboot even if the hard drive is in. :(
THanks