laptop shuts down during gaming

oscar douglas

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
i have an alienware 17 r1 from 2014 and its had a problem that i cannot fix, the laptop shuts down during gaming with no warning. the first time it did this it wouldnt recognise the charger, upon unplugging the battery and replugging it the charging problem was fixed and it recognised the battery again, but it continues to shut down playing games even when its plugged in. ive tried reloading the drivers and replacing the cpu and gpu thermal paste (this made the temps much better) but it hasnt fixed the issue, is there anything else it could be?

Solution
I forgot to mention I removed the battery completely at one point and just used the charger and it worked fine, no problems atall

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Could be that the battery is to old and is unable to supply the needed power for the laptop.
With some models of laptops the AC power brick alone isn't enough to provide the needed power under heavy loads and the battery is needed to help with this.

oscar douglas

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
I forgot to mention I removed the battery completely at one point and just used the charger and it worked fine, no problems atall

Solution