Laptop shuts down randomly

Hansen301

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
Okay, so I have been having this problem for about 3-4 weeks, and it's really important I get it fixed.

My laptop have been randomly shutting down, with no reason what so ever. It shows no sign of overheat or anything. I have no battery for it because it broke about a year ago cause of overcharging, and I haven't got around to buying a new one yet. I was thinking that it was the AC adapter that had a loose wire, but when I wiggle a bit with it, nothing happens... Mostly. The adapter stays still too.

It also smells burnt sometimes, either when turning the laptop on or playing a game. But that goes away 5 minutes later.

I have tried to blow compressed air into the laptop which resulted in going down in temperature too.

I also tried installing Windows 8 on it thinking it would work, and it didn't. It's an Asus n73sv. If there is anything i am missing please tell me.

Hansen301

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013

I use Windows 8 pro 9200 build. But it doesn't hibernate or sleep, it just shuts down completely

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Have you Updated your bios? I dont think this is hardware related, if it was , the laptop wouldnt turn on at all. I think your laptop its shutting down to protect itself from a bios error and this is a good thing, it means that its not power related because if it was it could just burn right there or explode. And Remember that you need to have Windows 7, your bios and drivers are made for windows 7. http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=267&m=N73SV&os=&hashedid=ZpdgdjiZ43Hy8Jx0

Hansen301

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013

Sorry for being so slow to reply, no i haven't updated my bios, and if it's the case that I have to install win7 then I'm gonna at some point. Also one more thing, the computer beeps, I have been looking into it, and people say it is because of the DC jack.