laptop shuts down when lid is closed

Wlad99

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017
I have a rog g752. It used to work fine but one day it started shutting down when I closed it, while it runs on battery. The power options are set to sleep, not shut down. I wiped my laptop a week ago for other reasons and the problem was solved. It worked fine for the week but today the same issue appeared. I have not changed anything. Thank you

Solution
Try changing the settings for when the laptop goes to sleep to never under both battery and plugged in. I had a similar problem on one of my laptop when my laptop wouldn't turn on after I had closed the lid. Another way is to change the laptop from sleep to hibernate.
It could be a few things.

First are the settings for sleep mode set correctly in both versions? (when the power cord is plugged in and when only on battery.)

Also, if the battery is having issues that could cause it to shut down.

And there is option number three, there could be a program that is the cause.

Wlad99

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017

Thank you for answering. However, as I said, all the settings are correct, the battery as the laptop is recent and seems to be working fine and I have wiped my laptop several times so it shouldn't be a program. But is there a way I could test this last point?

The battery being newer doesn't mean it isn't the issue. Especially if it is an after market one. They are hit or miss on how well they work. I am still stuck on wondering about the battery (or the settings in relation to running on the battery) due to your saying it doesn't happen when it is plugged in.

Wlad99

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017

I don't think it's the battery because as long as it's open it works just fine. So I believe it's more of a system problem

Check all the power options to see if anything is set to turn off or hibernate. Strangely sometimes it is another item that is the cause and not the direct one. Like when the lid is closed.

Also, in regard to software, what had been changed on the device just before this started to happen?

Wlad99

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017

As I said I am definitely sure that my settings are good. The bug appeared about 1 week after the wipes. I had installed bitdefender, the blizzard app, steam and all my games, chrome and some one drive word files. So I don't know.

Try changing the settings for when the laptop goes to sleep to never under both battery and plugged in. I had a similar problem on one of my laptop when my laptop wouldn't turn on after I had closed the lid. Another way is to change the laptop from sleep to hibernate.

Solution

Wlad99

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017

I already tried this. Will try again though. Thanks

Wlad99

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017