Laptop Shuts down when unplugged windows10

omr1aje

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018
Hey guys
I bought an used acer aspire f 15
I found a really weird problem, the laptop is functioning pretty good but when unplugged it shuts down like when you work on a laptop without a battery and you took the charger off the power it doesn't even show the shutting down process.
especially today it happened atleast 6 times and when it happens the laptop isn't overheating or anything, i don't think it's a hardware problem cause everything is functioning well when plugged.
ANDD yeah i've checked all the power settings when unplugged but none of them seems to be the source of the problem

omr1aje

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018

no the battery is on, and it's fully charged
i just gave that example so i clearly explain the problem
thank you for your reponse

Does it shut down immediately when you unplug the AC power? Or are you able to use the laptop on battery, but it randomly turns off suddenly?

If it sometimes works on battery, sometimes doesn't, you probably need to replace the battery. When you draw power from a battery, its voltage drops. As a Li-ion battery gets old, this voltage depression gets worse (the amount of power you can draw from it decreases). So as long as you're doing light tasks or have the backlight on low, the laptop works fine on battery. But the moment you try to do something that needs more power (like crank up the backlight), the increased power draw depresses the voltage. If the voltage drops below the minimum the electronics need to operate, the laptop simply turns off.

This is why Apple was limiting the max performance of older iPhones. They weren't trying to gimp your old iPhone, they were trying to prevent the situation where the device suddenly shuts off even though the battery still has plenty of charge in it. Of course the better solution is to replace the battery.

omr1aje

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018

yes i'm able to use it on battery but randomly turns off suddenly
thank you for these information, really helpful
but is there anyway to verify?
I generated a battery report and this laptop is being used since 2017-04 and i think the battery's health is good (in case the battery report doesn't get affected by formatting the laptop)