Laptop shuts down while gaming demanding games.

GatsuLT

Commendable
May 28, 2016
Hello,

I've stumbled upon this issue yesterday only. The day before yesterday I was gaming all day Rainbow Six Siege and Overwatch, and all was ok.

What happens: Laptop randomly shuts down while gaming these games around 5-8minutes of game. It suddenly freezes and shuts down. When I play Hearthstone or browse, and even left laptop to be for about 4 hours, nothing happens.

My laptop: Acer Aspire Review Acer Aspire V3-771G of 3.5 years old (i7 3610QM, GeForce GT 650M). Battery is almost dead(can last about 5 minutes), so I always keep battery in and adapter pluged in when I play and etc.
Adapter Chicony 120w 6.32A, 19V has been fixed 2 times because it was not charging and wires were fixed or something inside it.

What I did: Countless times cleared laptop from dust with compressed air, the ventilator mostly. Played the games without battery only with AC. It's NOT overheating as I've played Rainbow 6 for about 200hours with this machine. I also noticed that it shuts down immediatly and AC adapter doesnt switch to battery mode (suppose it's AC adapter failure). I also reinstalled Windows.

What I think: I think it's either AC adapter or motherboard. I can't find any similar adapter as mine from friends because it's 120w so I can't test if it's adapters fault or not.

Please let me know what you think and if someone had any similar problem?

Should I buy new AC adapter?

Thank you very much.

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First is to do a clean install of the graphics driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once uninstalled, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?
- Reboot the laptop once installed then set Nvidia as the default GPU.
- If all these will not work do try removing the battery off the laptop then try running it with just the AC adapter connected.
- If the same problem will persist I would suggest changing the AC adapter first.

GatsuLT

Commendable
May 28, 2016

Thanks for the suggestions. I did all that regarding drivers but didnt help. I guess I will have to get a new AC adapter (though it's hard to find a new 120w suitable for acer)