Laptop shuts off randomly on battery power

geo141

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
I have an MSI GE60 0ND laptop running Windows 7. When using battery power the laptop shuts off randomly and I have to plug the AC adapter back in to turn it on, then the battery shows that it is at 0% charge even if it was fully charged before it shut off. There is a message on the battery icon saying that there is a problem with my battery and that it may need to be replaced. My question is, can I trust this message, should I replace the battery? Is it possible that something else is wrong with the laptop?

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
usually yes, the battery can die and system can enter in the state you describe

in very few cases the laptop is wrong and gives a false positive but is cheaper to buy a battery and not a laptop

is it under warranty?

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
How long have you had the laptop? If it's more than a couple years I would go ahead and purchase a new battery. My old Compaq Presario laptop went thru about 1 battery every year and a half. Turned out half of my problem was a dying power brick and probably didn't need to replace my battery as often as I did. Lessons learned.

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
usually yes, the battery can die and system can enter in the state you describe

in very few cases the laptop is wrong and gives a false positive but is cheaper to buy a battery and not a laptop

is it under warranty?

geo141

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012

I just bought the laptop used, I believe it is from around 2013 though. Are you saying I might need to replace my AC adapter too?

geo141

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012

It's not under warranty, but I am okay with buying a replacement battery. I just want to be sure I am fixing the right component.

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
here 3 things can fail, the os, the battery and the mainboard

if it is the os, that i haven't seen happen with a batter, the other is the batter, after 32 or 3 years most die, just simply die

the other is the mainboard, if it is that, it will end up as a desktop pc and not a laptop

lets hope it is the battery or better start saving for a new laptop

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
You do not need a new A/C adapter unless the battery has trouble charging or if the laptop cannot run off the adapter alone.

When my laptop's GPU fried I got a replacement motherboard. I originally thought the charging circuit on the board was bad as well and that's the reason I thought for the batteries not working properly. And that I couldn't run the laptop on the A/C adapter alone. When I replaced the board the adapter problem wasn't fixed. In fact I noticed that the battery wouldn't charge at all and literally the next day my adapter died. Bought a new adapter and the laptop runs like it was new.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fazal Jarral Laptop General Discussion 1
Galileu9 Laptop General Discussion 0
parisaa Laptop General Discussion 2
H Laptop General Discussion 0
nomaan_senpai Laptop General Discussion 8
Briaaaaaaaaaan Laptop General Discussion 1
L Laptop General Discussion 3
T Laptop General Discussion 3
macmiller97 Laptop General Discussion 4
F Laptop General Discussion 3
M Laptop General Discussion 2