Laptop shuts off suddenly while gaming

scerab

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015
Hello,

So I was playing a game on my laptop it is a very hot day, 100 degrees, I have a portable AC on but it can't cool like a central AC.
Anyway, I played for like 5 hours then the laptop suddenly shut off. I tried to start it the laptop but it will not start. So I waited then tried to started it up again, it did start up and I was able to load the game and play for like 30 minutes.
Then it shut off again.
The laptop is a Lenovo flex 3 1580 convetable touch screen. I7 6500u, Windows 10 home, 8 RAM, GeForce 940 / intel HD 520 and 1TB SSDH. I was using a Lenovo charger 65 w.
Is this only over heating or can it be damaged hardware?
Thank you in advance.

Solution
Sounds like overheating which can cause damage to hardware if it happens to often. Best advice I can give is to get a laptop cooler to see if that helps drop the internal temps by 3c to 5c. If you are the more adventurous type, then opening up the laptop to replace the stock thermal paste with good thermal paste like Arctic MX4 can reduce by more than 5c. Doing so would void any remaining warranty.

Note that a cooling pad will not always be equally effective on all laptops. For example, I bought a DeepCool pad with 4 fans to cool my Dell Latitude 3540 which has a Core i5-4200u and Radeon HD 8850m (equivalent to a 940m) and at best it may have reduced the temps by 1c. On the other hand, that same pad cooled my Dell Inspiron 7559 with a...

Sedivy

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
Yeah when it refuses to start for a while, it usually means it's heated up and refusing to start until it's cooled off some. Since it's a laptop you have limited options but at the very least, look up instructions on how to open it, then clean out the fan exhaust that most commonly get clogged up in laptops, and if you have some lying around, changing thermal paste/remounting cooler/fan might not be a bad idea either.
Also, make sure when you play that your exhausts are uncovered completely. If they are on the bottom of the case, then get some standoffs, just something of equal heights you can put under laptop corners, to raise it off the table and improve airflow.

Sounds like overheating which can cause damage to hardware if it happens to often. Best advice I can give is to get a laptop cooler to see if that helps drop the internal temps by 3c to 5c. If you are the more adventurous type, then opening up the laptop to replace the stock thermal paste with good thermal paste like Arctic MX4 can reduce by more than 5c. Doing so would void any remaining warranty.

Note that a cooling pad will not always be equally effective on all laptops. For example, I bought a DeepCool pad with 4 fans to cool my Dell Latitude 3540 which has a Core i5-4200u and Radeon HD 8850m (equivalent to a 940m) and at best it may have reduced the temps by 1c. On the other hand, that same pad cooled my Dell Inspiron 7559 with a Core i5-6300HQ and GTX 960m by 5c. It kinda depends on how good the airflow is inside the laptop.

Solution