Laptop shutsdown without overheating and keyboard always malfunctions before shutdown

geniuz999

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014
Hello all first of all my system specs are here:
i7 2670qm
gt525m 1gb
640gb hdd
6 gb ram
Windows 8.1 pro x64

Please guys read fully in order to understand my problem.So the problem is very simple to explain that the laptop shutsdown without any reason when only playing games on it.I have been playing games on it since 2 years.The laptop is fully cleaned and also i changed the thermal paste.The max temps on GPU is only 77c and the CPU only reaches 80c max not more then that.When I am playing any game my keyboard becomes unresponsive in the middle of any game and the character starts to go in a certain direction like i am pressing and holding that key and the whole laptop just turns itself off.So whenever its going to happen i know it before shutdown because my game character starts moving in a certain direction and i say "OH NO plz not again and it shutsdown".First I thought it was the game that is causing the problems it first happened in "Counter strike global offensive" which I play on steam.Then I launched mass effect 2 and again the same problem.What the hell is this problem.I got my laptop checked from DELL support and they found no problems and charged me a lot of money.I fully cleaned my OS and re installed windows several times but the problem isn't going away.Guys plz read the problem carefully and tell what could be the problem as I have tried all things which can be done but still the problem exists.
Note:Sometimes the game runs for 1 or 2 hours or more then this happens and sometimes it happens only after 2 or 3 minutes of launching and starting playing the game.It always happens in the middle of the game when im playing.

Solution
Are you downloading an application called nvidia ntune separately, or is it being downloaded automatically? That dll that is causing the event error is from a very old and outdated tuning program that is no longer supported and was never supported on windows 8. It might be behind the random crashes, but the program is so outdated I cannot find any recent information on it.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Hi, this sounds very much like a driver issue is causing a full lock-up of your system, or the GPU/CPU/RAM is unstable. First let's get this out of the way, have you overclocked your system? If you have, bring it back to stock voltages and multipliers and check for system stability. Then check for any errors in the Event Viewer (Under Administrative Events, look for any errors that occur at the same time the computer crashes). You can also use a program called BlueScreenView to see if the problem is actually a blue screen that is causing a reboot too quickly for you to actually notice the BSOD display.

Once that is done and if everything checks out, there are a few more time-consuming things that can be checked. Dell has a built-in system diagnostic utility. If you haven't run that, please run it and make sure there are no errors. If there is a problem with the hardware itself, it will likely show with these tests. I don't trust the Dell technicians to run this software themselves, because they often take shortcuts (I had them replace a motherboard TWICE on a laptop because the tech was too hasty the first time and left the CPU fan loose, causing it to overheat and ruin the CPU! I also ALWAYS get "extra" screws back from the tech when they're done, WHY? There weren't any "extra" screws when I first got it!).

If that shows up no problems, we can then test the drivers. Uninstall and reinstall the graphics and chipset drivers, as well as any that may have been updated right before the issue began to occur. If you have a system restore point you can use that goes back before the issue began occurring, try that too.

If all of this still doesn't work, you can try installing an older, known working version of the driver.

geniuz999

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014
I mentioned it that I reinstalled my OS several times and have done a clean install means complete hdd format.So the suggestion of yours like reinstalling the driver is not relevant.I also checked with the old driver and problems still persisits and by the way my system is not overclocked.Also the system is not restarting,it just shuts down and before the laptop shuts down the character in game starts to go in a certain direction like im pressing some key and then bam it just shuts down.Also I ran diagnosis from bios and it shows no errors.Another suggestion of yours i.e. system restore is irrelevant since i have done a clean install several times and also tried older drivers but problem isn't going away.Unstable GPU/RAM/CPU why all of sudden it is happening now.I cleaned my lappy 6 months ago and it was running fine up until now.Also reopened it everything is fine in there no overheating or anything like that.I didn't recieved a single BSOD or any error message.Any game i am playing its characters starts to go in any certain direction most likely forward direction and then it just shuts down.I hope now I am completely clear on whats the problem.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Driver errors can persist through OS reinstallations if you keep downloading and installing defective ones or the wrong ones, or if you're using the generic Microsoft ones. Check the administrative events for any errors, and check if there is a memory dmp file that may have relevant error information.

To confirm it's not just the same game every time, it's different games and possibly applications too? For example does the system crash if you run Furmark or Prime95?

You mentioned you took your laptop apart, did you perhaps not put it back together properly? If the keyboard ribbon cable is loose, pressure could cause it to partially detach, which may cause the symptoms you're describing, or there might be a short somewhere that is causing odd behavior. (We're talking a freak incident here though)

One thing, do you use Glary Utilities or any other utility software that runs on startup, or are there any other pieces of software you are putting on the machine every time you do a format and clean install? Yes, I know you said "clean" install, but to some people that means "I didn't save everything, but I downloaded a bunch of programs as soon as I got it working again." I personally had an issue where Glary Utilities was causing my computer to randomly shut down and BSOD. It persisted through reinstalls because I kept reinstalling it every time I tried to start over. I was literally a minute away from calling to get an RMA on my SSD when I had a thought to uninstall it and it turned out to be the problem.

geniuz999

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014
There are some softwares which i always reinstall are only Avira and internet download manager.I have tried to uninstall both of them and the problem still persisits.I was happily playing these games for 6 months on my lappy with these softwares being installed on my machine.Also i have checked with multple games some example are counter strike global offensive,Just cause 2 and they are both steam games.I also checked with non-steam games like mass effect 2 but the problem is still there.This happens in just every game,the character starts to move in a certain direction and laptop just shuts down without any warning.Also checked and changed my keyboard ribbons.I am totally out of ideas here.Administrative events and memory dumps are irrelevant because it is not bsod problem.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Administrative events record more than just BSODs, so check that anyway please.

The fact that this happens with multiple games across several companies rules out the game software. Have you upgraded any components recently or did the CPU/GPU overheat in the past?

If you'd like, try running Prime95, then Furmark, and see if those cause crashes as well. If they do, it could be a sign of instability, either a power issue or a problem with the components themselves. Additionally it might reveal a problem with the graphics display driver.

geniuz999

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014
Checked my laptop running FURMARK but it didn't crashed and my max GPU temp was 89c but when im playing game it never goes above 79c.I let the furmark test to run for atleast 15 minutes and my laptop didn't crashed.The adminitrative events are just out of my understanding so i give some details here with the following list and do note that there are 3 types of problem the first one is warning,second one is error and the event listed on third is critical.
1..The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\SensorsAndLocationEnum\LPSensorSWDevice.
2..Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\MFC80.DLL". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis
3.The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

geniuz999

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014
GPU drivers are from nvidia website and the link is http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/77228/en-us.Remaining laptop drivers are all installed by windows update except touchpad drivers which i downloaded from official dell website by entering my service tag.These were same drivers when i first installed wind 8.1 except GPU drivers but i also rolled back to previous drivers which were working absolutely fine but the problem still remains.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Are you downloading an application called nvidia ntune separately, or is it being downloaded automatically? That dll that is causing the event error is from a very old and outdated tuning program that is no longer supported and was never supported on windows 8. It might be behind the random crashes, but the program is so outdated I cannot find any recent information on it.

Solution

geniuz999

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014
Actually that application is called Nvidia system tools 6.0.8 which is latest version and that was always installed on my windows 8.1.But the shutdown isn't from this app as far as i know because for atleast 6 months this is installed and this wasn't causing shutdown but why all of sudden this is causing shutdown.I will try to delete this app and try again but have a look at the third error event the shutdown is from another reasons.One more thing i just overclocked my GPU with nVIDIA SYSTEM TOOLS for only testing FURMARK and it didn't even crashed on FURMARK.The GPU is always at stock when running games and the problem is still there on stock clocks.The game in which shut down haapens in just few minutes of playing is counter strike global offensive on steam.I ran mass effect 2 non steam yesterday for about 1 hour and it shuts down but this game atleast runs for much more time then counter strike but the problem still happens in all games.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Let me know how it goes with system tools uninstalled then. I did a quick search and found a few people reporting that recent windows updates have caused a problem with this tool in particular. Is your OS fully up to date, or does this not occur until after you install all updates for windows?

There's also a (very) slight chance it could be a bios incompatibility, but I only saw these with desktop systems. Has the bios been updated at all since the computer was purchased?

geniuz999

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014
My OS is fully updated i never actually start using any windows until i install all updates.The bios is the latest one from dell website and this bios version was running flawlessly in windows 8.1 for atleast 6 months.Anyway I uninstalled system tools and restarted my pc.Then i launched counter strike global offensive from steam since this is the only game in which this shut down problem happens quickly as compared to other games and guess what the shut downs are still there.I fully ran Diagnosis today from system bios and i mean full system check up which took around 45 minutes and guess what there were absolutely no problems.Every major component in my lappy passed the test.I am really running out of ideas now.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
So am I to be honest. My next step would be to start over with a new windows installation, installing NOTHING but the basic OS game I want to run and whatever it needs to get going. No antivirus, no windows, updates, no extra drivers (Except for nvidia GeForce, but no optional bits like Experience or System Tools), nothing but the absolute minimum to get the machine going and get the game loaded. Then I would check and see if it works like that without crashing. If it does work, I would then start adding software and updates one at a time until it stops working. A huge pain to go through and huge time waster, but if it works you'll immediately pinpoint at least one problem source. If it doesn't work even like that, I'm just at a total loss.

geniuz999

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014
OK then this final step is really time consuming so i will surely update you asap when everything is done.This time upon installation i will disable all windows updates and just install some games and older drivers in which my system was fully stable.I hope the issue goes away but are you sure that softwares can also cause instant shutdowns bcoz as far as i know they can cause BSOD but not instant shut downs.Is there by any chance of capacitors inside my lappy going bad.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
It's not common at all but possible. The other alternative is there's a hardware problem that isn't being detected by traditional diagnostics. Power draw could be an issue but if you're running plugged in on a good adapter and it's causing problems than the power issue is likely with the motherboard, which means new laptop. Also if power was the issue it would have shown when you did furmark and prime95, as that'll draw more power in tandem than any game would under normal circumstances.

I'd rather find out for sure it's not software than spend money I don't need to spend to "fix" the problem. If you're adept enough you could take the laptop apart and take a good look at the capacitors and connectors to make sure nothing is cracked or broken, and in particular take a look at the dc in and battery to make sure nothing's wrong there.

geniuz999

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014
I hope it doesn't comes to buying a new laptop coz in its days this laptop cost me very much.Well if the issue doens't goes away anyways bro I appreciate that u took ur time in replying and helping me.Then ill be keeping this for only watching movies and surfing net lol. However ill miss playing counter strike global offensive coz it is my favourite game and i play it a lot on steam.

geniuz999

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014
I deleted nvidia system tools yesterday and the problem was still there so i opened uninstaller again and it seems there was another program that comes with nvidia system tools i.e. system monitor.I also deleted that one and after that I downloaded CCcleaner and removed all traces of this software from the registry and since then the shut down problem seems to be solved.I even overclocked atleast 25% more then my stock clocks on my GPU through Nvidia inspector and the lappy isn't shutting down.Bro you were right this nvidia system tools were the cause of the problem.Thankx again bro.Now slecting best answer.
To all other who have read this thread plz never use nvidia system tools for overclocking your GPU.