Laptop Shutting Down - Cannot find reason (Not overheating)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2018
Hi all,

hoping to get some of your knowledge on my situation.
Have an MSI GT72 2QD gaming laptop - Windows 10 - 3 years old.

Never have had an issue with random shut downs until recently - only shuts down when gaming -usually within an hour.

Temperatures on 2 different programs do not go above 70C for both GPU and CPU.

90% of the time it is a instant computer shutdown without a restart.
10% of the time the computer instant shuts down but then restarts itself.
Sometimes the desktop icons are shuffled about.

I've tried the works:

- event viewer shows nothing of value (in my opinion, but my troubleshooting involves a lot of googling)
- Uninstall latest graphic drivers and install MSI base ones
- Clean laptop out of dust completely
- Checked under heatsinks and all looks OK thermal wise
- Checked MOBO etc. for any marks / burnt smells
- Reset / Reinstall windows
- Unplug battery and run on adapter only
- Battery only without adapter
- Turn on options to stop computer from restarting when there is an issue
- Run TRONSCRIPT
- Defrag
- Antivirus / Malwarebytes etc.

One thing that seemed to help was when I updated the GPU drivers back to the latest version - I played for a full 6+ hours without issue. But this morning when playing it shut down randomly again and I've run out of ideas - I really do not understand how it let me play for 6+ hours yesterday and today 20 minutes into a game it dies.

Any ideas ladies and gents? Could it be a shortcircuit of some kind?

*to add - sometimes the laptop will not turn on unless I unplug the cord in the power supply and plug it back in

** gotten a lot worse over the past 2 days - now will shut down within 5 minutes of gaming. When trying to turn it back on, the laptop will shut down again 2 or 3 seconds after I press the power on button...sometimes have to press the power on button 3 times before the laptop actually boots and I can log in.

*** seems to only happen with more intense games. Was playing Spelunky without restart...could it be the GPU?

Tkennedy1993

Estimable
May 26, 2015
It could possibly be a short circuit. However, you said it only does it when it is gaming correct? Have you Overclocked your CPU? I had the same issue with my desktop and couldn't figure out what was going on. Come to find out the AutoOC setting had became enabled and was causing my system to become unstable.

Mar 24, 2018
Thanks for the tip - CPU and GPU have not been overclocked.

Currently it seems when the shutdown happens the power supply (charger) light goes off and I cannot turn the computer back on until i've unplugged the thick connector from the brick and plugged it back in.

Tkennedy1993

Estimable
May 26, 2015

Are you able to run the laptop with just the battery installed? If so do you experience these shut downs?

prjohnson1981

Commendable
Jul 2, 2018

Did you get a solution for this issue? I have the same make and model of OP and my GT72 has started to do the exact same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.