Laptop Shutting Down Within Seconds of Booting

Jan 30, 2016
Hello everyone,

I was using my laptop yesterday and the touchpad wasn't working properly. The mouse would move around all over the screen and prevent me from clicking on anything. This has been an issue with it since I bought it in 2010. The laptop is a Sony Vaio VPCEB15FX. I am running Windows 10 Home off a Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB, 8 GB RAM.

I lost my temper and banged on the keyboard a few times. The fan came on super loud after this and I shut it off. Now, whenever I turn it back on, the fan immediately goes up to that high RPM and shuts down the laptop. It seems to boot up just fine, it's just that it never makes it past the desktop without shutting off. The air coming out of the fan isn't hot at all.

I am wondering what could have happened after I hit it to cause this. I take full responsibility for what I did but it would be nice to figure out how to fix this new issue. Thanks in advance for the help.

Solution
I figured out what was causing the fans to kick into overdrive. The click buttons below the touchpad got stuck inside the laptop. All I had to do was push them back into place. All is working well now. Thank you for the tips, guys.

dmitche3

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
That sounds very sad. The "high RPM" might indicate that the fan is not doing its job. Obviously. If the CPU is overheating that would explain the shutdown as it would only take a few seconds to become hot enough if you knocked the heat sink off off it.

You will probably never feel hot air on a device that is over-heating. The CPU is small and over-heating is a CPU and feeling it is like lighting a match and opening the front door of your house to feel the heat. The match is hot but you won't feel it in the doorway.

I would find a Youtube video on how to open the laptop and examine it before running it ( even just in the BIOS).
My opinion.

Jan 30, 2016
Well, I opened it up and saw right away that the heat sink wasn't sitting too well over the CPU. So, I cleaned it up and put new thermal paste on it. I turned the laptop back on and the fan is still blasting but it hasn't shut off on me yet. The fan seems to be slowing down the longer I keep it on. Also, I don't know if this is a placebo or not but I swear webpages load just a bit faster than they used to.

Jan 30, 2016
I figured out what was causing the fans to kick into overdrive. The click buttons below the touchpad got stuck inside the laptop. All I had to do was push them back into place. All is working well now. Thank you for the tips, guys.

Solution