Laptop shutting off after 30 minutes exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.

luluclerk

Estimable
Jul 5, 2014
I have a 10-month-old Dell Inspiron 3521 laptop. It went off and would not come back on. Dell tech came to house and replaced motherboard, power supply, AC adapter and DC input jack. Now, it is shutting off every 30 minutes down to the second, without restarting. Dell diagnostics shows fan is working within their "benchmark" numbers and doesn't feel too hot. Happens whether idle, active, on battery, on AC adapter power, and with or without a cooling pad. Dell is going to reinstall Windows 8 OS, then perhaps new motherboard, then who knows? Not feeling too lucky for success here. Any ideas or suggestions?

luluclerk

Estimable
Jul 5, 2014

Bear with me, please, I really am an intelligent lady but sometimes this stuff is confusing. :) So I have changed "Choose when to turn off display" and "Change when computer sleeps" to never for both. I didn't see anything that specifically said "shutdown". Is there another place to look, or are those the right options?

abecednik

Estimable
Feb 20, 2015
Problem may be that the new motherboard has another chipset as the old one. For example your old motherboard had hm77 the new has a cheaper hm70. The hm70 is equal to hm77 with one exception. It doesn't allow i3(and up) processors(only celeron and pentium). If the chipset detect he is running another processor it will automatically shut down every 30 minutes. Call the service and make a complain.

Jaybell

Estimable
May 16, 2015
I've been researching this for a while now and noticed that there are a lot of people out there with the same problem. I noticed also that they all have windows 7. I have an alienware M17x R4 and just 3 weeks ago the same thing happened to mine. I'm very computer literate, this is what I've done so far:
replaced CMOS battery
Re-pasted GPU and CPU
Did diagnostic and All hardware running good
All temperatures in the green and NO overheating
Bios upgraded to the latest version
And still,... Computer shutting down EXACTLY in 30 minutes.
Brought computer to a professional Tech and even he was dumbfounded! The only thing he couldn't do was check for any overheating in the motherboard. He didn't have a thermal sensor. But if there was any overheating, once the computer shuts off and I turn it back on, it should shut off even faster cause whatever is overheating should still be hot....right?!!! All management settings are set to "Never" to shut off for display. I even did a full restore and wiped out the system. Could a windows update have done this that's corrupted? I've been beating my brain on this on whether to spend 200 to 300 dollars on a new motherboard or look for a solution out there! What if it's not motherboard related? There goes my money! Someone out there has to have a solution! Please help!!!!!!

"Exactly 30 minutes" is the clue! This is not motherboard related; not CPU related; not heat related! This has something (maybe everything) to do with a setting. Virus related? Maybe! A virus scan using a good scanner such as Malwarebytes would help.

Since more than one user has experienced this issue, it should once again be referred to the computer manufacturer along with a log of data.

hezzie777

Estimable
Dec 18, 2014
I have the exactly the same problem but on my desktop. I found the problem to be somewhat related to my BIOS. I have Gigabyte UD3H-Z87X motherboard which fortunately has a duel BIOS. I switched to my back BIOS and now my PC runs fine. It still bugs me though that if I go back to my first BIOS it will shut-down on the 30th minute mark and I have tried waiting on Windows, Linux and even in the BIOS its self. It will shut down on the 30th Minute. I flashed and updated my Bios but it didn't help, still got the problem. I'm just happy I got a backup but its still a bummer the first BIOS failed like that. Cant seem to find a solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS