Laptop Sleeps with high usage

saifxhatem

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016
I have an HP Envy 15t Slim Quad laptop which has a GTX 950M. I've had it since last November and didn't run into this issue until recently (about a month ago). Whenever I run something using the GTX the laptop sleeps within 2-5 minutes. It is especially weird since it even does this in a game like Minecraft (which does not at all require high performance) and even weirder it does this in all games with the exception of League of Legends. I thought maybe it was an OS issue (since bugging out in some but not all games didn't seem to me like a hardware issue) and before I even start testing a game, it happened again during a witcher 3 installer which had a high cpu usage (90% actually). I basically bought this laptop because at the time I couldn't afford a gaming PC and now I can't even game on it. Also relevant is the fan is always extremely loud within a minute of starting a game.

Solution
Sounds like you're overheating which is causing the laptop to sleep or shutdown. Download MSI Afterburner and monitor your CPU & GPU temps. You probably need to open up the laptop and blow out any dust that's accumulated.

rcxtra

Estimable
Sep 15, 2015
Sounds like you're overheating which is causing the laptop to sleep or shutdown. Download MSI Afterburner and monitor your CPU & GPU temps. You probably need to open up the laptop and blow out any dust that's accumulated.

Solution