Laptop Slow After Reconnecting to the Internet After a Week

someonejimmypie

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017
Hello, people of Tom's Hardware. Usually Googling my problem yields results, but this particular problem's answer escapes my grasp.

Last Monday there was a storm in my area. This storm happened to have destroyed (not quite sure what the proper word would be) my router and thus my internet along with it. So for about a week I did not have internet. And so we go through the process of getting our internet back.

The day of the storm and before, my computer was running smoothly. The week and a half I didn't have internet, my computer was running smoothly. When I reconnected my laptop back to the internet today, it wasn't running so smooth. Even the browser I use takes a while to pull up.

I've seen a couple of other websites where people are having similar problems, and the people who have responded to these people have listed solutions and I've tried a few, but nothing seems to be working for me. So far I've tried scanning for viruses just to be sure, I ran CCleaner, and I've tried rebooting my computer. None of which did much for me. I've seen another thread where someone suggested using Superantispyware. Is there any chance that will work?

Solution
It may or may not work. It may actually not even be the computer. It could be the internet connection. Have you checked on that? Also, try clearing out the temp data files on the computer that are probably still there from when you used it before the storm/problem. That can also slow things down a bit. I just use the old Windows Disk Cleanup program. Does the job.
It may or may not work. It may actually not even be the computer. It could be the internet connection. Have you checked on that? Also, try clearing out the temp data files on the computer that are probably still there from when you used it before the storm/problem. That can also slow things down a bit. I just use the old Windows Disk Cleanup program. Does the job.

Solution