Laptop Sometimes does not boot Splash Screen

That-Canadian

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
As my title says, sometimes when I turn my laptop on the splash screen does not show up, just a black screen, like only the LCD back-light is on. Not dead-black, but just no image or anything even though the display is on, or seems to be. Usually if I just turn off the machine and restart it the Lenovo splash screen pops up and I can boot to what I need to. I've ran diagnostics on the laptop and the motherboard has passed all 3 times I ran the tests, as has the RAM, CPU, and other crucial system components. I'm currently testing the HDD, however I don;t see how that would contribute to this issue.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Hi,

Try taking the memory out and dust them off.

You might have a laptop with a faulty gpu.
A lot of laptop form different brands has that problem.

You should google your problem with the model of the laptop, you might get an answer from that.

That-Canadian

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
I will try that with the memory, I've run diagnostics on the integrated GPU without error, but I'll look into it. I did try a Google of my laptop but didn't find anything specific, just general errors with other laptops. One suggestion was disabling Nvdia Optimus in the BIOS, which I will try as well.

Also update on the HDD, it did fail one of the tests I ran on it, which means the HDD is probably bad, however that should not contribute to this particular problem.