Question Laptop sound and microphone not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2022
I have had this problem for about a month now and can't seem to figure it out and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I should try. In late November I had noticed that my laptop was not detecting my microphone when joining an online lecture for school. Couldn't figure out why so just left it alone for a bit. Not too long after I noticed my speakers for my laptop stopped working. Now that school has wrapped up I was able to focus on fixing the issues further.

Over the past few weeks I've tried changing the sound and microphone device in the sounds tab. Nothing changed. I check all my drivers, according to windows I am up to date. I tried using the windows trouble shoot but that also did not help. Plugging in headphones also does not solve the issue. The only source to the problem that I think may be the cause is that the correct sound and microphone device has disappeared from from the sound tab, or it may somehow be a hardware issue. I am not a huge computer guy so this whole experience has been pretty frustrating. I just purchased this computer in the summer for school and gaming and now I can't even use it for that.

If anyone has some suggestions that may help please let me know. Thanks!

Jan 3, 2022
Do you have a BT headset? If so, does it work with the laptop?

Have you tried connecting your conventional headset/mic to a USB-C connector/adapter and then connecting to the laptop?

Also, is your laptop still under warranty?
My laptop should have a 1 year warranty, bought it in August so I've only had it for about 5 months. I just tried using Bluetooth and that actually worked. It was made for my PlayStation which is why I have never thought to try it.

So it's probably possible that I may have a hardware issue then?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
My laptop should have a 1 year warranty, bought it in August so I've only had it for about 5 months. I just tried using Bluetooth and that actually worked. It was made for my PlayStation which is why I have never thought to try it.

So it's probably possible that I may have a hardware issue then?
Yes, I would check the warranty status. I had a very similar issue with a Dell I own. Took a new motherboard to resolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.