Laptop SSD occasional crash/permanent freeze.

swiftmcpro

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015
Okay so I just installed a SSD Intel series 520 180GB in my HP Pavilion 15-N235TX laptop which the laptop is more than a year old. I got the SSD because my hard drive was dying(from checks of DST it shows my hard drive has failed the check and also it caused my laptop to LAG BADLY to the point where it freezes every click anywhere.). For some reason, after using this SSD for only like 3 days, I noticed my laptop freezes. 2 times. The first was yesterday and the 2nd was today.

What happens is I'm just playing a game(Team fortress classic) I load up a map and all of a sudden BOOM! My pc hangs. No sound plays, my skype with friends just ends, my screen shows a frozen picture of the last action i did in game, I can't do anything like CTRL + ALT + DEL. It basically crashed. I checked with Intel's SSD Optimizer and it showed that my SSD Health was at maximum best and the life span expectancy is also maxed out to 100%.

I really need to get some info on what to do because when I first got this laptop with the hard drive when it still wasn't failing, I had these freezes and crash as well. Then shortly after it stopped crashing anymore, followed by more than 10 months before it started to fail along side with its super laggy performance. That was when I decided to change it and this SSD is still brand new. So I really hope my SSD isn't dying as well.

Any help/advice/info?

Hi,

Does it lag only with games or with all applications? Do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in resolving the issue because if it's just with your games it could also have something to do with your graphics card.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall NVIDIA graphics driver.
- Open Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to NVIDIA graphics.
- Download and install the latest driver from the manufacturer site.
- Here's the link: http://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Once installed reboot your PC for all the changes to take effect.
- After the restart make sure to set all your games to play using NVIDIA processor.

swiftmcpro

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015

I've tried a clean install already it still happens.

It happened again today just now. I'm always playing this TFC game so I'm not really sure if its just the game or the laptop.

V1ctor89

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Do you have AHCI enabled in BIOS? Does this only happen in a game or if you generally have the SSD under heavy traffic (high-speed download)?

Also, is this happening only in TFC? have you tried other, perhaps more demanding games?

Boogieman_WD

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
Hey there, swiftmcpro.

If you were able to play TFC normally before you started having issues with your HDD, then I guess it has nothing to do with the GPU, since the only thing that has been changed since then is getting an SSD. Perhaps those issues might be caused by a faulty SATA port or cables. Try the SSD with a different computer if possible. Other than that try updating your BIOS/UEFI and the SSD's firmware (if there are available updates).

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

swiftmcpro

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015

Hello. Thanks for replying. I don't have any other pc to test my SSD on. Today it happened again. Twice. I was playing counter-strike 1.6 this time. Had FPS around 300. For some reason, it crashed again. Just leaving that still image. Then when I get back on like just 10 mins after the crash earlier it crashed again!. I'm really scared here. I don't want this SSD to go to a waste in an instant. Intel SSD shows that my SSD is in good health. I'm scared of updating my bios because last time I did that I crashed my old laptop and it couldn't start anymore. It was making beeping noises.

Boogieman_WD

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
Well, if this is the case, it would be best if you could send the laptop to a computer service shop (or back to the manufacturer if its still under warranty) for diagnostics. Hopefully the guys there would figure out what's causing this problem and fix it. Let's hope it's not a motherboard issue.

Fingers crossed! Please keep me posted.

fresno_1

Estimable
Nov 13, 2015