Solved! Laptop starts with black screen, fan stops after 5 seconds

Aug 11, 2018
I left the laptop recording a football match on ace stream media player, that being the only program working and during the day i used it for video editing and recorded other games in the same manner which made the laptop heat up...
Usually it heats up and sometimes it freezez and the screen goes semy black and after restart it's allright but this time it froze and the screen went semi black and it made the weirdest of noises, very loud and continuosly and i left it for about 3 minutes until i powerd it off.
After that i started it and the dvd rw works, the mouse is beeping, and the wireless also works and i hear it's usual noises that it makes when it starts but the screen (i don't think the screen is the issue) and the cooling fan do not work and I saw that caps lock does not light up and also usb sticks do not light up when i plug them in..
If you have any suggestions please let me know
The laptop is a very old one a Toshiba Satellite A215-S4817.
Also i opened it up i drained the electricity by keeping the power on with no battery or plugged in. I removed the ram and put it back on..cleaned as best as i could the fan and other components.

Solution
Does it work if you connect it to a monitor? If you don't have one you can use your tv. If it works you should get a screen replacement, if it doesn't your mb is probaly dead

Zapthos

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
Sounds like there's a lot of dust built up in there. If this is the case that's the reason the fan won't spin. Than it will overheat & shut down (usually it will try disabling the monitor, than a few minutes later the laptop itself. Here's a guide to clean dust: https://youtu.be/K12azYMwanU
Note 1: All you are doing is at your own risk! I am not responsible if anything goes wrong. I recommend you to do it with someone who's done this before if you think you're gonna break something.
Note 2: No need to replace thermal paste.

Aug 11, 2018
Ok.thank you, i opened it before posting and cleaned the best that i could for dust and removed the ram and the hdd and put them back togheter.. i recently found a thread that suggested the motherboard could be dead. Do you think that to be the case, taking into account that the dust might not be the issue?

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from cstriker9105 : "Laptop starts with black screen, fan does not work"

Zapthos

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
Does it work if you connect it to a monitor? If you don't have one you can use your tv. If it works you should get a screen replacement, if it doesn't your mb is probaly dead

Solution