Laptop startup/shutdown controlled by power supply

Jens Lindrup

Estimable
Jun 16, 2015
Hello
I have a laptop which is connected to an industrial machine. The machine is being shut down during the weekend, and started monday morning. I want the laptop to follow that sequence:
When the machine is turned on, and the power supply on the laptop is charging the battery, the laptop should start up. Also when the machine shuts down, and the power to the power supply turns off, the laptop should run it's shutdown proces (NOT sleep or hipernate).
The laptop runs Win7.
Will this be possible?

/Jens

I don't think any laptops have an option to turn on soon as power is applied, there are desktops that do though, with a desktop you can set both systems up on a power strip, when you click on the strip the computer will start. Shutdown is tricky but more possible with a laptop. If you have a program that controls the machine, you can put a script together that monitors for that program to be running or not, and if it's not, to shut down the laptop.

The BIOS of the computer will have the power options you'd need for turning on when power is applied or waiting for the power button to be hit.