Laptop startup white screen before POST

TurtleMayhem

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Hi,
Whenever I start my friend's laptop (hp g70-212em) I just get a white screen, before any kind of POST. The only thing I changed after the last shut down was set avast to do a boot time scan. The laptop in question is absolutely riddled with viruses (which I was asked to clean off!), so I'm wondering if any of them could have interfered with the scan?

Also the laptop contains a lot of important pictures, I know I should have backed them up first but I completely forgot (big mistake). However, I'm assuming that if I just plug the hard drive into another computer with a USB to SATA cable I can drag and drop the important pictures.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Yes, you basically connect the drive as a mass storage device (using a SATA to USB adapter). As long as you're not trying to boot off the drive using a different computer, you can still copy or move your friend's data using this method.

beyondlogic

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013

its not that easy to access files from a os source only really the laptop can access these

however this isnt a big issue its easy to fix white screen of death is caused by a bad connector between the laptops screen and motherboard you can easily test this most laptops come with a vga connectors simply connect it up and plug it into a another monitor it should boot

the bad news is youll have to tell your friend the thing is completely ruined as lcd replacements are costly and if the connector is buggered then its no use repairing it

TurtleMayhem

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

Thanks, I found that it DID turn on after I left it on the white screen for about an hour, turns out that the boot scan was running but not displaying!