Laptop stops charging randomly when using a new charger.(Lenovo y50-70)

Rohith R Nair

Estimable
Jul 18, 2015
Im using a lenovo y50 which originally had a 20v-6.75A charger. 2 weeks ago, while playing a game, the room's power fuse shorted and i found out that it was because of my charger(The fuse was blown again when i connected the charger to the power port while being disconnected from the laptop itself). I got the charger replaced from the tech shop where i bought the laptop and it was a 19.5v-6.15A charger. They ensured that its going to work fine which i was skeptical of and yet decided to try out .The laptop seemed to disconnect from the charger after an hour of gaming and the lights on the laptop started blinking.The charging point heated up a lot too.The game also lagged a lot which usually never happened before.

Is it my charger's problem or is it my charging port? Is it OK to use a charger with a lower voltage?

Solution
The Lenovo Y50 will need 20V and >=6,75A. The voltage has ro be 20V exact, not more and not less. The current can be more than 6,75A, but not less.

If the problem persists
There are many charger tips out there, maybe the tip is too bigs for the jack or the jack itself is damaged or losened from the motherboard inside

rectech

Honorable
May 19, 2018
Hi. To work out the power rating on the AC adapter you need to multiply the voltage by the current. In your case you have replaced a 135watt supply with a 120 watt supply so this could well be the problem.

Rohith R Nair

Estimable
Jul 18, 2015

Hi. I hope so too. I've sent the charger for another replacement(This is the third time). Hopefully this time, they'll give me the correct one. I just want my charging port and laptop to be ok. From what ive told, do you think there might be anything wrong with the port? Because now the laptop charges only if the charger tip is adjusted a bit. Thanks :)

The Lenovo Y50 will need 20V and >=6,75A. The voltage has ro be 20V exact, not more and not less. The current can be more than 6,75A, but not less.

If the problem persists
There are many charger tips out there, maybe the tip is too bigs for the jack or the jack itself is damaged or losened from the motherboard inside

Solution

Rohith R Nair

Estimable
Jul 18, 2015

That actually makes a lot of sense. First time i connected the charger, it seemed a little tight but the tech guy ensured me that its because its new. I shouldv'e known better. Hope i dont have to replace the jack itself.