Laptop stuck at 12% even after turning it off and leaving it on the charger overnight.

Gamesquid17

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
I got a new laptop a couple of weeks ago and it works perfectly except the battery always seem to be stuck around 12-17 percent one time it went up higher but now it always seem to stuck at 12% all the time. I don't know wherever it's the battery or the charger but my bet is on the battery because it charges fine on the old laptop.

Gamesquid17

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

The old one is Compact and the new one is Dell. The charger and the laptop are both Dell products so I don't know why it's not charging.

rontonomo

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016

if its not the same make and model how do you know if the voltage and amperage is the same for both? you don't. that could very easily be the problem... i would never use a charger from a different laptop even if it fits the charging port because it could still be wrong and not work or worse damage the laptop.

Gamesquid17

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

You had misunderstood the point that i'm trying to make. I only used it to test out wherever the charger works or not and it does which why I suspect that I have a faulty battery.

Gamesquid17

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

I will after i'm sure if that's the problem which i'm pretty confident it is and I need to make sure that i find the right model that fits my laptop but I don't know how to do that.

rontonomo

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016

google the laptop make and model or better yet post the make and model of both laptops and i will tell you

Gamesquid17

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
The new one is a Dell Latitude E6320. It looks like this https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitude-E6320-Laptop-DVD-RW/dp/B0094KFSZY except it doesn't come with a webcam and it was refurbished. The old one is a Compaq Presario CQ57 https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Compaq-Presario-CQ57-303SG-Notebook.69185.0.html.
Edit: I found the battery https://www.amazon.com/Extended-Battery-Latitude-E6320-E6220/dp/B00E7NQBEU. Now I just need to make sure if there's anything wrong with the charger before I get it. I just found that my battery is 60WH and charger is 65W.

rontonomo

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016

the newer dell uses a 19.5 volt power adapter the older compaq uses a 18.5 volt power adapter. thats a problem right there.

Gamesquid17

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

The problem seemed to have gotten worse now because now it's stuck at 11 on the Dell laptop. I'm still trying to figure out if it's a charger or battery problem.

rontonomo

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016

im trying to figure out if your even reading what im typing.. its clearly the fact that you are using the wrong charger...

Gamesquid17

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

I read but I just didn't know what you were talking about and I don't know which charger is the correct one.
[/quotemsg]

The correct charger for the new laptop is the one that came with the new laptop.

Gamesquid17

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

It was refurbished so i'm not 100 percent sure if it's the charger that came with the laptop.

Gamesquid17

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

It's a 65w 19.5V 3.34A charger. The battery is 60Wh 11.1V. I don't know much about computer hardware so I don't know what it's supposed to mean.

Specs look good. Does the charger say Dell on it, or does it look like an aftermarket one?

EDIT: Just went back and clicked on the link to the laptop you bought. Fairly old. My best guess is that the battery is fairly old, too. Yeah, most likely the battery. Did you try contacting the seller to see if the battery is new or used?

Gamesquid17

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

I didn't buy it my dad shipped it over to me as a birthday present (January 20 is my birthday.) It ran Sims 3 fairly well on the highest settings which shocked me because it was one of the slowest games most unoptimized games I had ever played. I don't know where exactly it came from but I read a little pamphlet that came in the box that says Laptop Computers Technology. It also said that it had been certified by Microsoft and that it had been tested for full functions and ready to be reused. The charger and the battery are from Dell and i'm starting to think that it's the battery fault because I took it off the charger for a little while and now it's stuck at 10 percent since probably around yesterday.
Update: I had confirmed that the charger works because it charged the old laptop which is a Compaq by the way up to 100 percent so it must be the battery. I'll contact my dad to see if he'll buy me a new one.