Laptop suggestions for my sister

megamonkey

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
My sister needs a new laptop to use and her budget is $500 so I want to ask any experts out there for suggestions. She mainly uses it for basic uses such as word docs, internet browsing, video watching.

If she can save money without losing much, that'd be great too.

Thanks alot

Solution

Look man you are gonna have to suck it up with Windows 8. Let me explain the pain in the ass this is giving me, you are not the first one to tell me they dont want windows 8.

All the New laptops, with new cpus, new technology and better performance have Windows 8. Only Old Laptops that are outdated still carry Windows 7.
The Company that Makes the Laptop update Drivers and Bios to Fix Software problems with the laptop you bought from them. Example: My laptop keeps Randomly shutting down, They Update the bios on their website and you go and...

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I suggest you asking your sister, if she is gonna take it to school or to friends house, if she wants it to be light, if she wants a big screen or anything is fine, if she wants backlight keyboard if theres a brand that she wants. If she is just gonna use it as a desktop replacement then the Asus that i suggested is the best option.

megamonkey

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
OOh..forgot to add I'm Canadian. But yea its for school so she carries it around too. I dont think she cares what the brand is but as long as its reliable and worth the price.

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
okey, canada then, I Got 2 Laptops.

1.- Ultrabook Asus with I3 proccesor enough for the needs of browsing, Office docs, and the New HD4000 that can play 1080p, it got a new tech that its touch screen with windows 8. 4gb of Ram and 500gb HDD. The Screen is 1366 x 768 in an 11 inch wich is impressive for the small screen, Got bluetooth, Usb 3, HDMI, VGA. This is the smaller Laptop i could find at that price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230926

2.- Intel Core i5-3337U , 4gb of ram, 500gb HDD, 15.6 Screen with 1366 x 768 resolution, No bluetooth,same ports as the first choice, Its thin for a laptop of this size.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231074

Show the 2 laptops to your sister and tell her to choose, My sister wouldnt be able to tell the diference between an I5 and a I3, But she could tell the diference when i installed an SSD as a surprise to her laptop. Now you have the perfect Christmas gift too. Good luck mate and tell me if you need anything else

megamonkey

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately my sister wants windows 7 instead of 8. The newegg.ca doesnt have as many choices which suck. I'm looking at NCIX website but idk what to choose.

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011

Look man you are gonna have to suck it up with Windows 8. Let me explain the pain in the ass this is giving me, you are not the first one to tell me they dont want windows 8.

All the New laptops, with new cpus, new technology and better performance have Windows 8. Only Old Laptops that are outdated still carry Windows 7.
The Company that Makes the Laptop update Drivers and Bios to Fix Software problems with the laptop you bought from them. Example: My laptop keeps Randomly shutting down, They Update the bios on their website and you go and download it, install it and problem Fixed. The Problem Here is that the Update they make for you Will be only For Windows 8. Now can you see the Problem here? Normally i would tell you, Go and Downgrade to Windows 7. Its Simple, Fast and Painless but that option its only for Desktops Now. I have a Windows 8 Laptop and i use this wonderfull app, i leave you a video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHcB4u4ix7M jump to 2:17
This app its a must have, it basicly gives you Windows 7 start up button making it easier and more enjoyable. I think with this app your sister will love windows 8. Also almost all new laptops with windows 8 come with a touchscreen for using the Metro UI from Windows 8. Wich its weird at the beginning but once you get the feel of it its pretty nice when you are in bed. Good luck Mate and tell me if you have any other question.

Solution