milehigh hitman

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
1. What is your budget? $500 or less

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15" min 17"max

3. What screen resolution do you want? as much as possible

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable

5. How much battery life do you need? as much as possible

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Yes
Needs to play Age of empires online
Would be nice if it played SC2 and WOW

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Email/Web

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 500Gb or so

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Best Buy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Laptop+/+AMD+Turion%26%23153%3B+II+X2+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+320GB+Hard+Drive+-+Biscotti/1636167.p?skuId=1636167&id=1218275433219

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? n/a

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD ROM

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Was debating between Gateway, Asus, Dell or HP

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. My father needs a laptop but is on a road trip. Heading to Santa Fe right now. Was looking to get a laptop at a nearby Best Buy.

milehigh hitman

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Found an interesting review on that Samsung.
http://www.gadgets-freak.biz/samsung-np-r540-ja09us-laptop-review/

"Since Samsung NP-R540-JA09US is integrated with earlier generation of core processor, its graphics, Intel GMA HD graphics, also belongs to earlier generation. The graphics is capable of HD video playback and it supports casual gaming, to some extent. Users can play star craft 2, Sims3, WOW in low details and settings. The graphics is DirectX 10 capable. However, power demanding games like Battlefield Bad company 2 is hardly playable, even in low details. The graphics is HDMI capable. Samsung NP-R540-JA09US comes with integrated webcam."

So I wonder which is better?
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD or ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 graphics

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
The Samsung has a bigger hard drive, but the HP has better graphics. If you decide to go the HP route see if the HP store has the same model on their site. I purchased my present HP laptop and got a 2 year warranty included. If graphics are more important go the HP route, if you need more storage got the Samsung route. Don't buy the Best Buy extended warranty they will try to sell you. They are notorious for not standing behind their warranties.