Laptop that can support 3 EXTERNAL monitors

Warren LaFrance

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
I am looking to upgrade our developer workstations and allow them to take their coding environment with them from work to home when desired. At the office we support three monitors connected to their workstations and I would love to be able to find a laptop (windows o/s) that can support something similar. I am not referring to two monitors and the laptop, I mean three external monitors... I have been looking around and I am not all that impressed with the offering by Dell, Lenovo, Asus and many others. Anyway any suggestions would be great.

Solution

A laptop that supports three monitors would probably be an expensive gaming one. I'm not suprised that you aren't impressed by laptops they aren't the most powerful.

Would they be doing...

diazalon

Honorable
May 12, 2013

A laptop that supports three monitors would probably be an expensive gaming one. I'm not suprised that you aren't impressed by laptops they aren't the most powerful.

Would they be doing stuff very computer intensive like editing etc?. Or just coding.
I would get a small form factor desktop that could be more powerful and cheaper than a laptop with the same specs.

Since you wont be using the laptop screen then a desktop would make more sense. If you must.... this is a decent laptop http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GS70-STEALTH.html#overview

Its $1700 USD and a desktop for that amount of power would be cheaper and more upgradeable. I chose this one because its is quite thin and is decent for a laptop.

If you need a full desktop build if you consider that or more options then just ask :)

Hope i helped

Diazalon

Solution
According to AMD the HD7900M series of graphics cards can natively handle 5 displays. I might suggest looking at "gaming" laptops such as the offerings from Alienware (Dell's gaming division), MSI or Sager/Clevo that feature that series of graphics (I imagine the HD8900M series has the same capabilities) - Haven't looked into NVidia yet, but will as time permits

Warren LaFrance

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
The primary reason for wanting a laptop is so they can work from home when they want and work at the customers site and bring all of their loaded developer tools with them. Visual Studio 2012, Redgate, and many others...

diazalon

Honorable
May 12, 2013

Look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYPFuX0klco
Tell me if that is small enough for them to move around and then you can get a harness to carry it or attach a handle.

Tell me if you need a complete build :)

Glad i could help

Warren LaFrance

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013

Good to note, thanks!!