Laptop to play the sims 4

marsher

Estimable
Dec 13, 2014
I,m looking for a laptop for my son to play The Sims 4 and other games, I,ve found two that I like, HP 15-r150sa, and the Acer E5-551, which would be the best one

Solution
Generally speaking, from the perspective of playing games it is better to choose the laptop with the better graphics performance over a laptop with better CPU performance as long as the CPU is not so slow that it actually slows down the graphics core / chip.

The A10-7300 is a quad core CPU (AMD calls 'em APUs) that can reach speeds up to 3.2GHz. The Core i5-4210u is a dual core CPU can reach up to 2.7GHz. Despite the difference in clock speed, and the number of cores, the i5-4210u is the better CPU in terms of processor performance. If I had to make a guess I would say that the A10-7300 is overall about equal to a Core i5-4210u running at about 2.0GHz. That is certainly enough to the Sims 4 without any issues.

The graphics core in the...
Generally speaking, from the perspective of playing games it is better to choose the laptop with the better graphics performance over a laptop with better CPU performance as long as the CPU is not so slow that it actually slows down the graphics core / chip.

The A10-7300 is a quad core CPU (AMD calls 'em APUs) that can reach speeds up to 3.2GHz. The Core i5-4210u is a dual core CPU can reach up to 2.7GHz. Despite the difference in clock speed, and the number of cores, the i5-4210u is the better CPU in terms of processor performance. If I had to make a guess I would say that the A10-7300 is overall about equal to a Core i5-4210u running at about 2.0GHz. That is certainly enough to the Sims 4 without any issues.

The graphics core in the A10-7300 (the Radeon R6) is more powerful than the Intel HD 4400 graphics core that is in the i5-4210u. Most games are limited by performance of the graphics core / chip rather than the CPU. I have seen a few benchmarks of graphically intensive games running on two different laptops; one with a little stronger CPU and a little weaker graphics core, and another with a little weaker CPU, but a little stronger graphics core. The laptop with the weaker CPU and stronger graphics core almost always wins.

If playing games is the primary reason to buy the laptop, then I would go with the Acer which has the A10-7300.

Solution

Rit_86

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Agree with jaguarskx, but the problem is, the AMD A10 is such a severely weak CPU compared to the i5, it seriously affects games. Your arguement would be true if the choice was between an i5 (4210U) and say an i3 (of standard voltage ie i3 4000m).
Here is the review of the Acer http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-E5-551-T8X3-Kaveri-A10-7300-Notebook-Review.122063.0.html
and its graphics core http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R6-Kaveri.117382.0.html
While here is a review of the intel's graphics http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-4400.91979.0.html
as you can see, even in SIMS 4, the difference is hugely in favour of the i5 and its graphics, as it is in most of the other games.
So I still prefer the HP and its i5.