Laptop to TV connection

JULIA305

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016
Hi all
I have read the questions regarding this but it didnt solve my problem - i have a lenovo thinkpad with a vga to hdmi adaptor which also has a usb. I was able to watch TV via the laptop with no problem but now, for some strange reason it has stopped working and what's worse is when I plug the VGA into the laptop, the laptop screen goes blank so I cant even adjust the screen resolution. I have tried windows P and selecting projector but all I saw was the top right side of my desktop. But then as I said above, the laptop screen started going blank so I cant even make any adjustments. For the rest of the time, the TV says "out of range".

I have unplugged vga, changed resolution, plugged back in and same problem. Unless the PC re-sets the screen resolution when I plug the VGA in but as I said, i have no way of checking this due to blank screen. Apologies for the long repetitive question but i'm a complete techno-philistine and hoping somebody on here will have mercy on me and help!
Thanks
Jules

JULIA305

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016
Hi sorry - have only just seen email. Yes, the adaptor is VGA at one end, HDMI at the other with a usb one leading off the VGA end. its so weird because it worked perfectly a couple of weeks ago. I just plugged it in, adjusted screen resolution and voila. I can't remember if my laptop updated and was thinking perhaps to turn the clock back on it a week or so.

boju

Distinguished
Can you list your laptop specs/operating system and HDMI to VGA adapter please.

Going from VGA to HDMI or vice versa requires an active adapter to change one standard signal to another, usb is a means to give such adapters power. I think there lies your problem somehow.

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
what windows are you running. I had problems with windows 10 and had to go back to windows 8.1... no problems there after. There seems to be issues with "second display" in the windows domain especially with windows 10 based on readings in various places. Have you tried using "duplicate" when settings up multiple displays?

JULIA305

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016

JULIA305

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016
Excuse my lack of knowledge but how do I list the laptop specs? I got the vga cable from eBay shall I post the link to the item? It has worked before though - very weird
Thank you for your assistance

JULIA305

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016

Hiya - i'm using Windows 8. I didnt try duplicate yet as the very short window in which I could see the laptop screen I selected "projector" and then by mistake selected "extend screen" which i assume was the reason I could only see the top right hand corner of my desktop lol. Its very annoying not being able to see the laptop and therefore I cant make any adjustments. I think i'm just going to by a chromecast or similar!! Although knowing my luck that wont work either :)

JULIA305

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016

Hi there - so sorry for delay - I didnt get notified that you had replied so I didnt realise. OK the Lenovo is

Memory

PC2-5300 Non-Parity (NP) Double Data Rate Two (DDR2) Technology
The use of 667 MHz SO DIMM memory is recommended for this system.
256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, or 2GB memory
Supports up to 4GB maximum memory
Note: Only 64-bit operating systems support more than 3GB of system memory (RAM). Intel Chipsets 945GM and 945PM do not support more than 3GB system memory (RAM), even when a 64-bit operating system is installed.
Recommended for memory expansion are 2 GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM 533 MHz SO DIMM or 256 MB, 512 MB, and 1 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz SO DIMM.

Mouse

All systems come with the UltraNav dual-pointing system, featuring TrackPoint and customized touch pad for the ultimate in pointing flexibility is a part of the keyboard. The TrackPoint features Press-to-Select, Internet scroll, and magnifying glass for accurate and convenient control.

Processor

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology
Available processors are:
Intel Core Duo processor T7200 (2GHz), T7400 (2.16GHz)
4 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz front-side bus
Intel Core Duo processor T5500 (1.66GHz), T5600 (1.83GHz)
2 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz front-side bus
Intel Core Duo processor T2300 (1.66GHz), T2400 (1.83GHz), T2500 (2GHz), or T2600 (2.16GHz)
Intel Core Solo processor T1300 (1.66GHz)

Communications
Infrared (IR)

IR transceiver for wireless file and data transfer and printing.
Speeds up to 4Mbps.
Compatible with the Infrared Data Association (IrDA) IR data link specification.

Modem

56K v.92

Note: Public network download speeds are limited to 53kbps. Upload speeds are limited to 48Kbps. Actual speeds depend on many factors and are often less than the maximum stated.
Network

1Gb Ethernet installed on systems via the system board.
Intel 802.11abg Mini PCI Express wireless adapter on selected models.
ThinkPad 802.11abg(3945) Mini PCI Express wireless adapter on selected models.
Bluetooth/Modem combo card on selected models.
Integrated Sierra Wireless CDMA2000 Network Adapter for Verizon Wireless Broadband Access on selected models.

Expansion
Bays

One integrated, easy-loading modular Ultrabay Slim
Type II PC Card slot
Two ExpressCard/54 slot

External ports

Three USB ports version 2.0
Additional connector supports the optional Port Replicator, advanced dock, and advanced mini-dock.
Audio ports
External stereo speakers or headphone
Microphone-in
CRT port for external monitor
Built-in RJ-11 and RJ-45 connectors for telephony and LAN connections

Note: PS/2 port and serial port are not included, but both can be obtained through the optional ThinkPad Essential Port Replicator, ThinkPad Advanced Dock, or ThinkPad Advanced Mini-Dock.
PC Card

Conforms to the PC Card Standard 95
Type II slot
Both the 16-bit Release 2.1 card standard and the 32-bit CardBus card are supported.

The TV is a Sony Bravia 32 inch

The link to the vga/hdmi adaptor is this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-HD-VGA-USB-To-HDMI-Audio-Video-Cable-Adapter-Converter-PC-DLP-TV-Monitor-/321938248176

Thank you and sorry again for delay in replying
Jules

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
OK... so its not a windows 10 issue. No problem. I use a similar setup (ie. vga / hdmi adapter and gateway laptop). The issue was significant with windows 10... so much so I went back to windows 8.1 which stabilized everything again. In your case, when connected to your second screen, you need to find the "power key" / "short cut key" for toggling between screens / shutting off the first screen. It will be some PF key along the top row or some key control key sequence. That should step you thru options of "first screen", duplicate, extend, "second screen only", etc. Hopefully you will get to either first screen only, or duplicate which then will allow you to adjust some parameter. Not sure what needs to be adjusted although resolution is a likely issue. From my experience, there seems to be some problem with EDID management across the adapter and windows.

JULIA305

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
hmmm .... I don't have access to my setup at this time... but on my 8.1 tablet pc, the windows P action does bring up a side bar menu allowing me to select various display choices from duplicate, extend, second screen, etc. You should be able to do the same thing / get the same response on windows 8. But as you say, my setup worked well for about 1 month (when I went from 8.1 to 10) but then something happen (update???) and I spent days trying to get it to work as we use the laptop to run kodi for media service.... it no longer worked in windows 10. Reverted back to 8.1, no further problems with nothing else changed.
I have used my tablet pc (8.1) with both an hdmi cable (which it has an output for) and with the microsoft display adapter, both work well allowing me to switch any display configuration... but there is some "unpredicableness" in terms of how the display will come up some times... sometimes in "duplicated" and sometimes 2nd display only.... I haven't figured out why but as long as it works... I am happy. Hope you find a solution. My money is that windows has display management issues all over the place ... from my readings thru the various forums.

JULIA305

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016
I was wondering if there was an update and was even thinking of doing a system restore but I'll try what you suggested. I did manage to see the desktop as I said - but only the top right side of it on the TV lol. I obvioulsy pressed "extend screen" to get that and couldnt see chrome when I pressed it then the laptop went blank and that was it... end of...
So just to recap - I'm to press "duplicate" yes? Being offered a few choices flummoxed me haha. Having said all this I have ordered a chromecast doodah of ebay as I am close to giving up now and hoping that will work much easier.
This is totally off topic but is kodi any good? A guy i work with he bought the kodi box and another guy i work with he has the software on his pc - he actually has the very same connector I have from his pc to his tv he was the one who told me what to buy and he said his works perfectly which is even more annoying. I just asked him what windows he has and he said windows 10. I guess he is just lucky :)

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
hopefully you can get things working. As for Kodi, "cat's meow"... :) It runs on a couple of my computer nodes plus I started with the original xbmc for xbox, a long time ago. Kodi is light years from there now.

In terms of windows 10, my "blame" could be miss laid but as I indicated, I was running 8.1, things worked fine, decided to try the windows 10 offer. It worked somewhat ok for a bit, then something happened and the laptop seemed slow(er) and second display no longer functioned correctly. It would only work in "duplicate". All other choices (extend and 2nd display only) didn't work as the tv indicated "invalid mode" which is a resolution / frequency issue that indicates the computer was trying to send a signal that the tv couldn't handle. Tried all sorts of things and couldn't get it to run as it did at first setup. Reverted back to 8.1, everything was fine there after with no other changes to the configuration. One thing to note, the gateway laptop is a vista original and not "mainstream" in terms of driver updates and hardware capability. Other issues that people complained about on the net, include loss of touchpad functions. Anyways, it appears that when windows can't find or work with a driver, it reverts to a "basic" windows setup for that item which may not be the most optimal setup for a given piece of hardware. I suspect that's the problem for me.

Further, you should try look up how "extend" is suppose to function as I think it is used for extending your desktop such that you can have one "setup" operating on one screen and another operating on another and you can move between the two.... there might be some way for you to navigate between screens / "sides" by toggling certain key control sequences. Having said that "duplicate" should provide a "mirror" of your desktop on both displays.