Laptop to TV gaming help?

rustynetwork

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
so recently bought a dell 7577 notebook with GTX1060 max q gpu, a decent gaming notebook i believe, i wanna connect my laptop to my 4K samsung tv ( 60 hz) and then play video games via streaming like some lightweight video games like dead cells, salt and sanctuary, hollow knight etc, the problem is whenever i play these games on my notebook i get rock solid 60 fps all the time, but when connected to tv fps is all over the place i cant get a steady 60 fps, its basicly somewhere between 30 and 60 but it changing all the time like 33,42,50,36,49.. goes on, btw my notebook also has a 60 hz ips panel and the hdmi cable im using is the one you get with ps pro so that should be enough to handle tv gaming since ps pro supports 60 fps gaming in theory, i just wanna play the games on my tv with steady 60 fps no ups and downs also i play the games at 1080p i dunno if it has anything to do with it tho :)

Solution

mahardikahandoko

Prominent
Apr 22, 2018
You should check your resolution at your game when you play on your tv. Some games (mostly latest game) will change to your current monitor resolution ( in this case 4K) so you know, if you play your games at 4K you'll suffer some lag even your GPU is adequate for 4k gaming. Also you can try to use secondary display only to check it isnt multi-monitor problem

rustynetwork

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
so when i select the second screen only thing i cant get the game to work fullscreen on my tv, my notebook screen turns off as expected but cant play the game on fullscreen its like 1/4 of tv screen size, so i dont know how this stuff works but i was always trying this with the option ' Duplicate' instead of ' second screen only' so can i just not go with duplicate option and get steady 60 ? i also noticed when i change the game borderless fullscreen i get 30 fps steady maybe i should go with that but 30 feels very slow for me on tv, i know its not the hdmi cable because its ps pro original cable so it should be more than enough, can i just change my tv res to 1080p and play instead of 4k and play like this? is this even a thing i dunno really but definetely choosing second screen only doesnt work for me :(

mahardikahandoko

Prominent
Apr 22, 2018

Have you tried to change your setting at Nvidia Control Panel?

To change screen resolution of your tv, please contact your tv manufactures for further information. As far as i know, mostly tv is fixed resolution so you can't change the resolution even if it can, the results can be worse than native 1080p. But you can try to setting your monitor resolution at windows setting (when connected with your laptop). The setting would be at System>Display.

Windows borderless sometimes called fullscreen without optimization. Windows borderless also allow you to move out your cursor to another display easily without minimizing your app. 'real' fullscreen is optimized for one app. It will allocate mostly resource for that app. you may find some difficult when playing with fast movement mouse like FPS games. But if you find windows borderless is better for you, then stick with that.

The secondary display only is for test whether it was multi-monitor problem or not. Some people find multi-monitor setup will suffer slightly performance issues due activity at another display (ex:streaming twitch while gaming). If this solution won't work for you, you can try other solution above

Solution