Laptop to TV with VGA & 3.5mm audio cable has picture with no sound

Keldaris

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016
Hello,

I wanted to connect my laptop to my TV so I would be able to use it as a bigger monitor, along with watch movies from the laptop on the TV.

I did my research and came to the conclusion that a VGA cable with a connected 3.5mm audio cable would be my best option. My TV has HDMI but my laptop does not, but my TV does have an RGB-In spot at the back, along with a 3.5mm Audio-In.

When I plug both ends of the VGA cable with 3.5mm Audio into the laptop and TV I receive a very nice and clear picture on the TV, but I don't get any sound.

When I unplug the VGA cable from the TV but leave both audio cables connected I get excellent sound, but obviously no picture.

I don't understand why the sound from the laptop plays through the TV only when the VGA cable is not connected.

I also tried connecting headphones to the laptop while the VGA cables were connected to both the laptop and the TV and I was able to get sound through them.

Does anyone have any solutions or suggestions to help me fix this?

Thank you

PS - TV is an LG, not sure what the model number is as I don't have the user manual. Laptop is Lenovo.

Solution
Hello.

This sounds as if you've incorrectly set your sound settings on the TV, or that you're in the incorrect audio input. What is your TV model number?

Some TVs will switch to HDMI 1 as the default pairing for the 3.5mm input, as this is the DVI input. You may need to select this to VGA in the sound options of your TV. It is also possible your VGA input uses another audio input, such as RCA.
Your problem is the AUDIO-IN is attached to the VIDEO RGB port, so in order to use it, you have to switch video to RGB, and then your VGA goes where?

Try a VGA to HDMI converter, or VGA to Component (if that's the port you have) but I cannot vouch for quality since I've never used one.

Hello.

This sounds as if you've incorrectly set your sound settings on the TV, or that you're in the incorrect audio input. What is your TV model number?

Some TVs will switch to HDMI 1 as the default pairing for the 3.5mm input, as this is the DVI input. You may need to select this to VGA in the sound options of your TV. It is also possible your VGA input uses another audio input, such as RCA.

Solution