Laptop Triage: LCD white, fully functional otherwise.

besteh

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Hello, thanks for taking the time to read this. I have a bit of a quandary which I hope someone may find a good challenge..

I have a Sony laptop, VGN-CR11Z, that when turned on, POSTs, and starts up as normal, with sound and mouse/keyboard functionality throughout. The issue is that when initially turned on, the LCD backlight fires up, and then stays at 50% for the duration of start-up, going full power white (with vague lines visible when viewed at an angle) when the music plays.

The end user reported that at first the screen went hazy, but when flexed back and forth on the hinges the display returned to normality and this continued for a couple of months. Until the situation I describe above occurred. The laptop was given to a semi-pro laptop technician, who said the screen was fine, but the GFX was clearly the problem as the VGA display port does not work either.

The question is, would this be the cause of the problem? and if so, is this the end of the laptop? As the laptop has a mobility radeon x2300 GFX card, independent of the onboard Intel chipset, so surely if I can access the BIOS at startup, I can change the GFX source?

If it isnt, or might not be, could it say be an inverter issue? I was assured the ribbon cable was checked by the PC tech, and I'm inclined to believe him. So! Your thoughts?

I would appreciate any input on this.

Cheers

Richard

besteh

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Thanks FJFixer, I'll do that right away, just researching the way to take it apart.

While I've got your attention, is it theoretically possible to change the GFX source in BIOS so I could use the onboard GFX chipset?