Laptop turns off when gaming or running gpy stress tests.. Help please?

Narippo

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017
HI

Pretty much..
My laptop turns itself off completely instantly (doesn't restart, straight up turn off) when, and only when, I am playing games.

At first, before it started doing this, the brightness would fluctuate between the maximum and minimum settings when playing games. Then a not long after this started, the brightness would fluctuate and then shut off.
More recently, when ever I play a game, depending on how demanding the game is, the laptop would turn off. The more demanding, the quicker it would turn off. Witcher 3 turns off within a few minutes of game play usually.
Some games don't seem to turn off though like Fifa 17 and GTA:San Andrea.

I have run several stress tests, RAM, CPU GPU etc.. RAM and CPU stress tests didn't do anything. However, when running the GPU stress test (furmark 1080p) it turns off.
I have done these tests with and without the battery and the power supply plugged in and it still happens.
I have cleaned the inside of the laptop in case it was overheating and the problem still persists..

I took the laptop to my University IT department as they do free diagnostics. They said they ran tests on it overnight and found nothing wrong. But when running a gpu stress test it also shut down. They recommended checking the drivers are updated properly (Which they are and were), if this didn't work then maybe there was something wrong with my OS. I have formatted my laptop completely, a clean install of windows, updated it and downloaded furmark again and it is still turning off when I run the tests..
I ran the test successfully a few times and it did not turn off. But after a few runs it started turning off again and still is..

This only happens when gaming or running the stress test. I can use the laptop almost constantly watching videos and doing work etc.. and there are no issues.

When I check the event logs, it says there was a critical error .
Kernel Power Supply error.
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event ID - 41 Keywords - (70368744177664),(2)

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 4

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000400000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2017-04-01T02:30:48.835555200Z

EventRecordID 1146

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer DESKTOP-3CMIL9J

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0
Checkpoint 0
ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0
CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0

ALSO - I should probably mention too that when the laptop turns off, it will NOT turn back on (for a few minutes) without the power supply plugged in.

Another issue (maybe related?) Sometimes the fan will just max out, and the only way for me to stop the fan maxing out is by shutting the laptop down. This happens when I use a HDMI to dual screen with another screen (only happens when I extend the screen as a 2nd. When I Duplicate or use the hdmi to make another screen the one and only screen [like a tv] the fans don't go crazy) . After I formatted the laptop and updated it earlier today, the fans started to go crazy too when I would turn it on.
This makes me thing it may be something to do with overheating, but the temps on the Furmark stress test show the temp to be between 50 and 70 when it is turning off which isn't hot enough to cause the laptop to just shut off... Also, the fans were going crazy when the laptop had just been turned on and nothing was running at all..

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)