Laptop turns on then shuts off few seconds later. get new laptop??

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1ngkev1n1

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
The power lights turn on and fans for a couple seconds. no display though and the machines cuts off right away. at most 3 seconds its on for. battery is fully powered. tried plugged to power charger without battery and with battery. Not sure what the problem is though. It is a dell inspiron 13.3 inch laptop.

G

If it's not the battery or the power supply cube, it may be a motherboard power component.

Also, if there are two memory modules try removing one and if the machine doesn't boot replace the first and remove the second.

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
^ Concur. Also could be the Bios has a setting that has changed and is now incompatable with system. You could try removinging the CMOS battery for 10 Minutes and if possible clear the CMOS. This is easy with a desktop, but a real pain in the A$# with most laptop as it requires dissasembly and the "Clear CMOS" jumpers are not normally identified in user manual - If they even exist. If you go this route, recommend just changing the $5 CMOS battery

k1ngkev1n1

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
Will this delete the stuff i have on hard drive? also i tried booting with one stick of memory removed and still same thing havent tried with the other stick removed though. I tried booting without the battery in. not sure where teh CMOS battery is i think it is right by the ram, are all laptop CMOS batterys the same or do i need to buy a specific one for the laptop?

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
(1) Clearing/resetting the CMOS will not delete files on the HDD. It may cause a boot problem if the default setting for the HDD is incorrect (ie set to IDE, but HDD was setup with AHCI mode. But if you can at least get it to post, then if boots alls well, If it completes a post test, but does not boot then just try changing the BIOS setting from IDE -> ahci (or visa versa).

The CMOS battery is normally one of the Watch type batteries, while many use the same one it is not a given.

To do this you will need to google "changing CMOS battery in dell inspiron xxxx (xxx = model) below is a link to the 3800 (note for this model dell calls it a reserve battery. For the 3800 it is no simple task, If your battery can be accessed from the memory module cover - great.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pcyp/r_r.htm?dgc=CJ&cid=24471&lid=566643&acd=10550055-3463938-#reserve_battery

k1ngkev1n1

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010

I think it looked like it was wrapped in a black cover the battery with wires coming out connecting ti to the board im guessing. So i pull it out wait about 10 minutes, replace the battery( i guess cut the black cover off) and then reboot and see if it starts up. If it does the same thing starts for 2 seconds then shuts off then i know it wasnt the bios? Could this mean i may have to get a new laptop? i dont think its worth sending it in for repair seeing as how they always charge an arm and a leg.

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Did you try googling replacing it yet. Also how are you going to determine if the battery is good or bad. Normally if it is just low it only messes up time/date, but if "real" low it could cause the indications you have. Myself, I'd just use an Voltmeter and measure it. With the watch type batteries I just replace it, in the worse case I'm out 5 bucks. From what you are saying, it is not a watch battery, so you should either verify it's good, or replace it.

You could also pull the HDD and the DVD drive out, just to see if you can post - get an error saying no boot device found.

k1ngkev1n1

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010

when i get home i will try to look at the battery maybe un plug it to reset the bios? then maybe remove the hard drive and see. or do the hard drive first.

k1ngkev1n1

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
ok just tried it with one stick of ram, then no hard drive, then undid the cmos battery for about 10 minutes, still all turned on for a second the straight off. could it be the video card?

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Yes, except I think you have intergrated GPU (Not a Card). When it starts the post it is detecting a hardware problem which is preventing it from starting. Laptops are very hard to determine the exact problem because they do not lend themselfs to swapping parts in/out.

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
no, it's most likely power supply unit, it's not even getting to post, the laptop will still boot with a distinctive beep for video issues, or artifacts, or blank screen but stay on if video is issue, but for it to immediately turn off it's a power issue.

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
no, can't technically be change, the power supply powers the whole laptop, the power cord or battery just supply power to the power supply unit which distributes power to each component that is needed. Depending where you are and laptop repairs, it can cost as much as a new laptop to repair. Here it's about $175 for a new power supply for an Acer, and $75 hour to repair (at least 3 hours, have checked several places, long and delicate work).

NWhophead

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction - the CMOS battery was the problem for me. D620 laptop would power up for 3 seconds and then silence. A bit of a challenge to get to the 3 Volt "button" battery under the keyboard but a quick swap, replace all the bits and pieces (and all those tiny screws) and it fired up perfectly.

Voltage on the old (only 3 years) battery was 1.2 volts.

Total cost of repair = $4.00 (plus about 30 mins to dissasemble and reassemble)

rwscalif

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014

You hit the nail on the head with the memory modules!! It fixed my problem. Thanks.

pstanley99

Estimable
Dec 12, 2014
Guys, thanks for this.

I had the exact same problem after installing an SSD in my Aspire 5742.

Tried clearing the CMOS via the battery, no joy.
Removing a memory module allowed the laptop to boot with just 2GB - then shutdown and re-install the other 2GB.

Brilliant :)

Rusiru Shehan

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015

Removing one module and start laptop again worked. Again I replace the removed module and started the laptop and it worked perfectly. Thank you very much. And also could you tell me what was the problem there? Will it occur again?

Status
Not open for further replies.