Laptop unable to use graphic card

johnnyparker00

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017
This is my laptop + specs https://www.gigabyte.com/Laptop/P55K#kf

In device manager my integrated card is being used and when i try to enable my gpu driver it crashes my laptop so i have to disable it.

This is a little story about discovering my laptop is unable to detect the gpu.

I discovered this by launching Overwatch and I noticed the graphics were really poor and checked settings to see my settings set to low and at the lowest resolution. FPS is below 30 when I tried to play a game and it was unplayable. I knew something was wrong because i remembered playing the game at high settings at 60fps.

I thought this could be a drivers problem and opened up Geforce experience and updated my driver, when it installed it told me to restart my laptop and I did. When I restarted I check Geforce experience and it looked it did not install because there was an "express installation" button. I wanted to check Nvidia control panel but it would not open (because GPU was not being detected).

I was trying to think why my laptop could not run Overwatch and thinking could it be the new updates of the game? So i went on the website https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri to check if my laptop can run it. They told me to download a detector to detect my laptop's specs and it resulted my laptop being unable to run Overwatch. It said I was using an outdated graphics card which was Intel(R) HD Graphics 5600 and knew something was wrong because that was the integrated graphic card and not the dedicated GPU GTX 965M.

I went to device manager to check the display adapters and only the integrated card was shown so I had to tick the "show hidden devices" and found the dedicated card faded out. I looked online and they said i should disable the integrated card and restart to let windows to reinstall my graphic card driver. I did it and quickly checked my device manager and saw the dedicated card driver and I enabled it. After a few seconds my laptops crashes and I got the bluescreen and put me in a restarting loop. I stopped this by going into safe mode and disabled my dedicated graphic driver and restarted. My laptop was working fine but my graphics card is unable to be used because it crashes my laptop.

I looked online and some forums said the gpu could be dead which is worst case scenario. But I remembered it could be due to hair, dust or gunk in my gpu because i've been using it for travel and it was in my bag. I also remembered that a potato chip bag popped in my backpack and went all over my bag and seeing some were on my laptop and going into the holes where the fans blow out.

What should I do? Is there an alternative way of fixing this besides cleaning? Because I don't have time to do the physical work until my exams are finished.

johnnyparker00

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017
Recently I just uninstalled all of my drivers and restarted my laptop and tried to install it. It got installed but when i restarted my laptop and check device manager the graphic card driver has an error saying "Code 45: Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer"