Solved! Laptop under 400-500 recommendation.

kahnos

Estimable
Apr 8, 2014
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice. I want to buy 2 laptops, each under 400 (maybe 500 if it's worth it), and upgrade each with an SSD and RAM expansion, keeping the total cost under 1000-1200.

What are the best choices? I'm looking mostly for processor, RAM, durability and ease of upgrade. A graphic card (if at all possible) is a nice plus, as well as backlit keyboard.

I currently have a Vit P3400-02 (8gb ram DDR3, 1Tb HD and i7 3517u). Should I just try to upgrade that one? Or is it worth it to buy a new laptop that will last longer?

Thank you.

Solution
It all depends what you do with your laptop. Storage is always easy to add - changing out the primary HDD and replacing it with a SSD and then replacing the DVD drive with a xTB 2.5mm drive. However, if you are running off a good internet connection, storage space is irrelevant.
With regards to processing power, what do you do with your laptop? I principally use a browser, small database, a word processor and a spreadsheet - my old dual core Intel is fine. Gaming is a whole other issue.
In any case, I would recommend taking a look at Notebookcheck - their system ratings are very thorough.

andre_888

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
It all depends what you do with your laptop. Storage is always easy to add - changing out the primary HDD and replacing it with a SSD and then replacing the DVD drive with a xTB 2.5mm drive. However, if you are running off a good internet connection, storage space is irrelevant.
With regards to processing power, what do you do with your laptop? I principally use a browser, small database, a word processor and a spreadsheet - my old dual core Intel is fine. Gaming is a whole other issue.
In any case, I would recommend taking a look at Notebookcheck - their system ratings are very thorough.

Solution

kahnos

Estimable
Apr 8, 2014
Well, the laptops are mostly for work, including software development, with heavy use of the browser and databases. We don't usually work in anything graphic intensive, like video rendering or videogame programming.

We probably won't play anything heavy on it, mostly light games like don't starve.

I'll check out the site, thank you.